Girl Meets Waterfall

'You do know where we're going?' Riley asked for the hundredth time. 'Yes, I know where we're going', Lucas said. 'At least I hope I do', he added, suddenly feeling unsure. 'You look really nice, by the way. But I've said that already, haven't I?' he said shyly. 'Yeah, you did. But thank you for thinking so.' Riley gave him a smile. 'So...um, the weather is nice today', Lucas said. He immediately felt stupid for saying that. Out of all the words that could've came out of his mouth he had started talking about the weather. The weather! 'Yes, I agree. I just love the blue sky and the sun.' I'm lucky she doesn't think I'm an idiot for saying something like that, he thought. 'Perfect weather for a perfect picnic', Riley said and while she did, she regretted calling the picnic 'perfect'. Of course, it kind of would be perfect when she was with Lucas, but he didn't know she felt that way. She gave herself a mental face-palm. Well...at least she thought she did. 'Why did you just hit yourself?' Lucas asked wide-eyed. 'Um...Did I? Really? I didn't even notice that.' She looked at her arm that was still mid-air. Her cheeks flushed. Lucas and Riley both didn't know about the other person's insecurities. 'Okay', Lucas said slowly. They walked for a few more minutes in an awkward silence. 'Oh, look! We're almost there.' He showed Riley the map and pointed at a few places. 'Oh yeah, great', Riley said, but she didn't understand anything that Lucas was showing her. 'We'll be there in about five minutes.' 'I can't wait', Riley said and she meant it this time. 'Lucas...it means a lot to me that you took me to see this waterfall. I can't believe you actually remembered me saying that I wanted to visit this spot. It was like months ago.' That was true. They had to do a class project on the United States together. Each pair had to choose one of the states of America and they'd chosen Hawaii. While they were searching, Riley found a picture of the beautiful waterfall and had said she really wanted to go there. 'Of course I remember', Lucas said. 'Yeah, but you didn't have to go through all the trouble of finding the right trail and organizing the whole picnic.' Lucas was carrying a backpack with all of the picnic necessities with him. 'It wasn't that much trouble', he said. 'And besides, it's worth it.'

After another few minutes, they finally reached their destination. 'Wow...' Riley said as she looked around. 'It's even more beautiful in reality.' Lucas silently admired the beauty of it all. The exotic, bright green plants, the pink flowers and the deep-blue, sparkling water. But he couldn't help but think that Riley was more beautiful than all of this. The sparkle in her warm, brown eyes when she'd seen the waterfall. The way that she now was running through the jungle-like plants. He smiled at those sights. He dropped his backpack on the ground and started unpacking. First, he took the red-and-white picnic cloth. The food and drinks followed. Riley knelt by his side. 'Let me help you with that', she said. They were spreading out the things Lucas had bought the previous day. Sandwiches, salads, cookies and more. Riley filled plastic cups with water from a bottle. 'I wonder if this water comes from this exact place', she said out loud. 'Maybe...' Lucas said. He walked towards one of the bushes and picked a pretty flower. He gave it to Riley, who thanked him and put the flower in her hair. 'It looks great on you', Lucas said. Riley smiled. They then ate some of the food. Riley nibbled on a chocolate-chip cookie. 'Hmm', she said. 'I love chocolate.' And I love you, she wanted to add. 'Just like Elsa and Anna', Lucas said. 'What?' 'You know, the sisters from the movie Frozen. The one with the ice powers and-' Riley remembered the movie. She watched it with Maya. 'Oh yeah. I love that one! Olaf's so cute!' she exclaimed. 'I don't know. I like Sven better', Lucas said. They suddenly were tangled up in a conversation about Disney movies.* They didn't even notice how the sky changed from blue to grey to black. Not until a raindrop fell on the tip of Riley's nose. She brushed it away with the back of her hand. Lucas thought it was cute. Then the reality hit them. They looked at the sky at the same time as the rain started pouring out of it. 'No, no, no! This can't be happening.' Lucas took the cloth and held it above their heads. 'Lucas, we have to find shelter. We can't stay here.' Lucas nodded. They packed a few things and then left. They found was a small cave near the waterfall and decided it was the best option to hide from the rain. They sat down on the cold ground. Lucas put the cloth around Riley, so she didn't get cold. 'But what if you get cold?' she asked worried. 'Don't worry about me. I'll be fine.' They sat there and looked at the shower that didn't seem to end. 'What do we do if it doesn't stop raining?' 'It will stop', Lucas assured Riley. But he wasn't so sure himself and he didn't think a cave would be a safe place to sleep. 'It will stop and we'll be able to go back to the mansion before it turns dark.' Riley nodded. She rested her head on his shoulder. 'I'm sorry for ruining this day', Lucas told her. 'I know how badly you wanted to see this place and I've ruined it. I'm so, so sorry.' Riley looked at him. 'Lucas, you didn't ruin anything. Yes, I wanted to see the waterfall and now I have. What matters most is that I am able to spend this day with you. And I don't care if we sit by the water or hide in a cave', she said. Lucas laughed. 'You really don't mind spending your time in a dark cave?' 'Okay, maybe this isn't ideal, but I don't mind either. And besides, how could you have known about the rain? That clearly is not your fault.' 'Um, I don't know, a weather forecast maybe?' Riley laughed and elbowed him softly. 'Shut up', she said playfully. 'You know what I mean.' Lucas smiled. 'I mean it', she said. 'You didn't ruin anything. I have really enjoyed myself today.' She gave him a warm smile. Lucas felt renewed hope. 'You're right. Today was fun. And guess what? The day isn't over yet!' He took Riley's hand and they stood up. 'What are you doing?' Riley said. Lucas ran out of the cave and into the rain. His hair and clothes were immediately soaked. He offered Riley his hand again. 'A little bit of rain won't hurt us', he said. 'That's not a little bit of rain. That's a whole lot!' Riley said. Nevertheless, she took his hand and stepped outside. 'May I have this dance?' Lucas asked her, offering her a sweet smile. 'You know this isn't a movie, right?' Riley said. But she felt happiness washing all over her. 'I know that', Lucas admitted. 'But every day I minute I spend with you feels like a movie. That's how happy being with you makes me.' Riley didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. No one had ever said something that sweet to her. 'Good', she said. 'Then you also know how I feel when I'm with you.' Lucas pulled her a bit closer and they started dancing. He wished that that exact moment could last forever.

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for reading :) I hope you liked this Rucas chapter.

Love,

*No pun intended with the 'tangled up in Disney movies'.