Girl Meets Goodbye's & Sorry's

The group's final day in Hawaii had arrived. They'd dreaded this day ever since coming to the island. Hawaii had become like a new home to them. 'You okay?' Riley asked Maya, who was next to her. The girls were almost done packing their suitcases. 'Mm, I guess. I just... I don't want to leave, yet. I'm not ready for it. So much has happened here and, well, I don't want things to go back to the way they were.' Riley placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. 'If you're talking about Josh-' 'I'm not just talking about him', Maya interrupted her. 'We've become such a close group and...' 'And we'll stay that way. Forever', Riley assured her. 'If you say so', Maya said, but she didn't sound all that convinced. 'I do', Riley said confidently.

Maya looked at her watch. A quarter to three. 'I'm leaving soon', she told Riley. She was going for a walk with Josh before dinner. 'Oh, is that the time already?' Maya nodded. 'What are you going to do?' Riley shrugged. 'I haven't got any plans. Maybe I'll go for a walk myself.' 'You can come with me and Josh', Maya suggested. 'Nah, you go have fun on your date. I don't want to intrude.' 'It's no big deal', Maya said. Riley shook her head. 'It's very kind of you, but I'll be fine. Thanks, though.' Maya shot her friend a smile. 'I should probably go', she said, looking at her watch once more. 'Have fun', Riley said. Maya looked at her friend. 'You know, I can also-' 'Go', Riley said and she gently nudged her friend towards the door. 'See you later, Riley', Maya said. Riley smiled at her. 'See you later, Maya.'

Maya met up with Josh in the living room. 'Ready?' he asked. 'As ready as I can be', Maya replied as she laced her fingers through his. They left the mansion. 'Are you sure you don't want to go another way?' Josh asked as soon as they were out the door. Maya shook her head. 'No. I want to do this.' 'Okay then.' They took off in the direction they went the first day. The day of Maya's accident.

Meanwhile, Riley was ready packing and she felt like going for some fresh air, too. She had barely walked a hundred meters, when she heard someone call her name. She turned around. Someone was quickly approaching her. Someone she didn't feel like seeing. 'Evan', she said. Riley was surprised to hear her voice in such a cold tone. 'Riley, I know you don't want to see me, let alone talk to me, but I have to get this out.' Evan looked at her expectantly. Riley said nothing. 'You can't ignore me. Not forever.' 'In fact, I can', Riley said. 'Tomorrow, I'm going back to New York and after that, I won't be seeing you ever again.' Evan digested her words. 'Please', he pleaded. 'Fine. Say what you have to say and then, please leave.' Evan took a deep breath. 'Riley, I'm so, so sorry. What I did was stupid and I was a total jerk to you and Lucas. But you have to know I only did it because I liked you.' 'You don't even know me', Riley said. Her tone softened. 'You don't know anything about me.' 'I know we didn't talk much, but I liked... the few short conversations we had. 'You're kind, and funny, and-' 'Evan, what do you want from me?' Riley asked. 'Can you please forgive me?' he asked her. 'And not just say you forgive me and not mean it, but really, really forgive me.' Riley bit her lip. 'I don't know if-' 'Please.' Riley sighed. 'I forgive you', she said softly. Yes, what he'd done was stupid, and yes, she still felt angry, but that anger was slowly fading away. He'd apologized and Riley knew holding a grudge wasn't the answer. She wanted to end things on a positive note. 'I forgive you', she repeated, this time a little louder. Evan gave her a hug. 'Thank you so much!' 'Er, could you, not...?' 'Oh, right, sorry', he said. 'So... you're leaving tomorrow?' Riley nodded. 'Yeah.' 'Will you be coming back?' Riley shrugged. 'I don't know. I'd love to return, though.' Evan looked down. 'Hey, you'll be fine', Riley said, not paying attention to the fact she placed her hand on his shoulder. 'There are so many great, new people to meet.' Evan nodded ruefully. 'Yeah, that's true. But none of 'em are staying.' 'It'll be alright. Besides, who says they're not coming back?' 'This is what I mean.' 'What?' Riley asked, confused. 'You're so kind, even though I did those things to you. Please tell Lucas I'm sorry.' Riley nodded. 'I will.' For a few seconds, there was silence between them, but then Riley said, 'Come here.' She put her arms around him for a goodbye-hug. 'I'll come back', she promised, suddenly feeling sorry for Evan. He gave her a small smile. 'Goodbye, Riley', he said. It was clear he didn't think she'd ever return. He knew this would be the last time he was ever going to see her. Riley thought so, too, but she didn't want to make it worse by saying so. 'Goodbye, Evan.' 'Riley?' he asked when she started to walk away. 'Yes?' 'I really am sorry. And I wish you all the best in the world. You deserve it.' Riley smiled at him one last time before walking away.

Hi everyone :) I know I told you this was going to be there were only going to be two more chapters, but I changed my mind. There will either be two or three more. I hope you liked this one! Thank you so much for reading, and a special thanks to those who voted on previous chapters, it really means a lot to me :D If you have any comments, advice or questions, feel free to share them below :) I wish you all a lovely day!

Love,