Girl Meets the Unfortunate ''Date''

Oh God, what have I done?  Riley paced through her and Maya's bedroom. Today, she was going to meet up with Evan and  Lucas. At first, she saw no harm in that. Evan was just a nice boy who was looking for a friend. But she realized it wasn't Evan she had to be worried about. She heard a knock on the door. 'Come in', she said, trying to sound not all to stressed out. It was Lucas who entered the room. 'You ready?' Riley nodded. 'Of course! Why wouldn't I be? I mean, it's nothing. Seriously, nothing! Why would I be worried?' Lucas frowned. 'Is everything okay?' Riley sighed. 'Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go.' She braced herself for what was coming as she walked out the door.

When they crossed the backyard, Riley and Lucas spotted Maya lying on one of the sunbeds. Josh was next to her on another sunbed, and even though there was at least a meter between them, they held hands. 'I'm happy so happy for Maya', Lucas said. 'And for Josh, too, of course', he added. Riley nodded. 'Me too.' For a second, she forgot all about the Lucas and Evan drama and was focused on how her best friend lay there, so peacefully and happy. Riley smiled. But, as said, that was only for a second. She felt Lucas hand on hers and the usual butterflies were replaced by a feeling of... Well, what was it? Fear, stress, or something else? She shook it off and walked off with Lucas. 'Where are we meeting Evan?' Riley noticed how Lucas' voice got a bitter tone when he pronounced the boy's name. 'Right where we met him. At the beach.' 'Great', Lucas said, and Riley tried to ignore the sarcasm.
She bit her lip and kept walking. This is going to be a long day, she thought.

And she'd been right. At first, things seemed to go well. There was tension, of course, but Lucas and Evan found a mutual interest: sports. They were more talking to each other than to Riley and she was starting to feel left out. The three of them hadn't even been walking for that long, but to her, it felt like an eternity. They passed a small kiosk. 'Who wants ice-cream?' Riley asked in an attempt to join the conversation. 'Nah, don't feel like it', Evan said. 'Me neither', Lucas agreed. Riley hadn't expected this response. 'Oh, come on, who doesn't want ice-cream?' 'We don't', Evan simply said. Oh great, they are a 'we' already. Riley let out a sigh of frustration, which not one of the boys seemed to notice. They were back to their baseball conversation. Riley wished she'd brought her phone to text Maya to come save her. But even if she had her phone with her, would it have made any difference? Maya was spending the day with Josh and she wouldn't want to take that away from her friend. And besides, the day had just begun. Maybe things got better eventually. They had to, right?

Apparently not. In fact, things got even worse. Riley was finally able to join the guys in their sports-talk when Evan said something about the Knicks. Riley, as a huge Knicks fan, immediately dived into their conversation. 'Did you just say the Knicks?' she asked Evan. 'Yeah', he said a little unsure. 'I love them!' Riley exclaimed. She didn't even notice how Lucas wasn't walking beside, but behind them. She didn't notice he had fallen silent. She didn't notice the look on his face. 'We should go to a Knicks game together someday', Evan said. Before Riley could answer, Lucas did. 'OK, enough!' he said. 'What are you doing? Trying to ask out my girlfriend?' he exclaimed. 'Lucas!' Riley gave him a look that said, Stop it now!  'No, Riley, I'm not done yet. Wait, no, I guess I am. Enjoy your date!' He stormed off, kicking up dust with his feet. 'Lucas, please come back!' Riley called after him. She stared at her boyfriend, who was slowly fading away. 'Well, he sure has got problems with his temper', Evan stated. Riley turned around to face him. 'What did you just say?' 'I didn't mean for that to happen. But... He kinda overreacted, don't you think?' Riley replayed every single part of the conversation and the event in her mind, trying to imagine how she would feel if, say Missy Bradford, had joined her and Lucas on a date and said all of the things Evan had. I would be hurt, too, she realized. 'No', she said. 'He didn't. Evan, I... I need to go after him. I'm sorry.' She started to turn around when Evan said, 'Don't. You deserve way better.' Riley blinked a few times and processed what he'd just said. 'Deserve better? Better as in a guy who tries to break up a relationship between two people who care a lot about each other? A guy who not only called this meeting thingy  a date in front of the girl's boyfriend, but also asked her out while that boyfriend was right behind them?' Evan looked like he was looking for words, but didn't find the right ones. 'I need to go. And don't even try to follow me.'

It took Riley a while to catch up with Lucas, who walked way faster than her. She figured the only way to get to him in time was to run and here she was now, panting and standing right in front of him, one of her hands placed on his shoulder while she tried to catch her breath. Lucas stood perfectly still, his face now expressionless. 'We. Need. To. Talk', Riley said, in between gasps. 'So now you want to talk? You were only interested in what Evan had to say.' There was it again. The way he said 'Evan'. 'You were right', Riley said. He looked at her, clearly confused at Riley's sudden change of heart. 'What?' 'You were right.' Riley shrugged. 'I thought he was just being nice. I was wrong. He did have interest in me.' Lucas tried to hide his anger, but it didn't work very well. Who was this Evan guy to intervene with their relationship? He also felt sad. He had finally had the courage to tell Riley about his feelings for her, and now he was going to lose her. 'But there was one thing you forgot', she said. She gave him a light kiss on his mouth. 'I have no such interest in anyone except for you.' 'But what about the Knicks game? He practically asked you out!' 'And I didn't accept his offer, now did I?' Lucas looked at the ground. She was right. 'I'm so sorry. I overreacted.' Riley placed a finger under his chin and lifted his head so she could look him in the eyes. 'No, you didn't. I would've done the same thing if it concerned you and another girl.' Lucas shook his head. 'No, you wouldn't have. Riley, you're the sweetest girl I have ever met. You wouldn't yell at someone. Not even for something like that.' 'Maybe I would. Because it would've been for you.' Lucas smiled. A warm smile that Riley had loved ever since he smiled at her that one day on the subway. She took his hand and they walked back to the mansion, leaving Evan to continue the walk alone, if he hadn't left already.

'So, my lovely, sweet princess would've yelled for me? That's not really you, Riley', Lucas teased her. 'Laugh all you want, but I'd do it.' Lucas stopped walking. 'Then go ahead', he said. 'What do you mean ''go ahead''?' 'Scream, make something up, I don't care. Whatever you want.' 'Okay', Riley said. She was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. 'I don't know. It's not like I'm in that kind of a situation right now.' Lucas acted like he was disappointed and looked down. 'Oh, okay, that's fine. I get it. I guess I'm not worth yelling for after all.' Riley thought for a moment. 'Fine. STAY AWAY FROM MY CUTE LITTLE UNICORN SLASH GLITTER PONY LUKIE-PUKIE. IF I EVER SEE YOU NEAR HIM AGAIN, I'LL SPRINKLE YOU WITH FAIRY DUST AND RAINBOWS! Happy?' she asked Lucas, enjoying how his face had turned bright red of embarrassment. 'Something wrong, Lukie-Pukie?' she said. And she walked away, laughing. And after a few seconds, Lucas burst into laughter as well and ran after her. Now he was the one panting from the running. 'Okay, I call it even. You've proven yourself. Just... Don't ever tell Maya about the Lukie-Pukie nickname, because that would... That would be really, really bad.' A look of fear came across his face. 'I won't', Riley promised, and she nudged him softly. 'Hey, how about that ice-cream?' Lucas said. 'Oh, so now  you want your ice-cream?' He smiled at her apologetically. 'I was just checking the competition.' 'Admit it, you liked talking to Evan about sports!' Riley said. 'No, no, I- Okay, fine, a little bit. But not as much as I like talking to you.' He put his arm around her and gave her a light kiss on her forehead. 'I'm sorry for ruining today for you.' 'Don't worry, I got something from this experience.' 'Really? Like what?' 'Free ice-cream, your treat!' she exclaimed, happily. Lucas shook his head while laughing. 'Well, I guess that's the least I can do.' 'There is one other thing', Riley said. 'Oh yeah?' 'Yeah. This.' She pulled Lucas closer to her and pressed her lips against his. She felt a weird feeling in her stomach. But not the same from that morning. A good one this time.

Hey everybody! I know it's been a long time, sorry for the wait, but here's the new Girl Meets Hawaii chapter :) I hope you all liked it! Thank you so much for reading and a special thanks to those who have voted on previous chapters. I'm really grateful for you support :D I wish you all a great day!

Love,