Girl Meets Evan

Maya and Josh weren't the only ones who went to the beach that day. After breakfast, Riley and Lucas decided to go for a swim. And what better place to do so than the Pacific Ocean? Zay and Vanessa seemed to think that was a great idea as well.
'Will you, Vanessa, do me the honor of going on a date with me?' Zay asked, making Vanessa giggle. 'Why yes, I most certainly do.' 'Just say 'yes' or 'no'. I don't know this fancy talk', Zay said temporarily forgetting he had just used it himself. 'Yes, Isaiah', Vanessa said, rolling her eyes. 'Good.' Zay smirked and took her by the hand, their fingers intertwining. The four of them were almost ready to go, until Vanessa clapped her hands. 'Wait, you guys, shouldn't we ask Farkle to come with us?' 'What is it with you and him lately?' Zay said, raising one eyebrow. 'First the zip-line, now this. When I said date, I'm pretty sure I didn't mean us together on a romantic stroll with Farkle in between us. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but...' Vanessa looked at him in a way he just couldn't say no to her. 'Ah man, you know I can't resist that look.' He ran upstairs, shouting Farkle's name. A few minutes later, he returned with his friend. 'Hi', Farkle said, unsure whether the others were happy with his company. 'Look, I don't want to be an intruder.' Vanessa linked arms with him. 'You're not', she said. Zay's eyes said 'are you kidding me right now?'. Vanessa shot him back a look, 'be nice'. At least they had their own ways of communicating. Farkle couldn't take those away, now could he? With visible reluctance, he marched out the door behind Vanessa and Farkle. What a date, he thought.

When they got to the beach, clouds were packing, turning the sky to a light shade of grey. 'Lucas, do you mind if I stay here?' Riley asked him as soon as they had deposited the bags of food and drinks and other stuff they had brought with them. 'What's the matter?' 'It's freezing', Riley said, rubbing her arms. It was still warm compared to the temperatures in New York, but she'd gotten used to the hot Hawaiian afternoons. Lucas put his arms around her, trying to keep his girlfriend warm. 'Do you want me to stay with you?' Riley shook her head. 'No, I'm fine. But thanks.' She gave him a warm smile. Lucas bent down to give her a kiss on her nose and then ran to the ocean. His first reaction when he felt the water? 'Holy cow, it's freezing! Riley! RILEY!' 'Seems like it's going well', Riley called back, giving him a thumbs-up. Lucas went further into the water, with each step getting more used to the cold, until... Riley looked up from the book she'd taken with her to the beach, interrupted by a high-pitched yelp. She was just in time to see a large wave hitting Lucas' body, taking him underwater. When he came up a few seconds later, his whole body was shaking. 'Cold, cold, cold', he said, while walking around like a penguin. Riley couldn't stop herself from laughing. 'Ha ha, very funny!' Lucas shouted from the water. He'd turned his back to the ocean, now facing Riley. Another wave was approaching, the white foam starting to gather, and before Lucas knew it, the wave hit him. This made Riley laugh even harder. Lucas had now adjusted to the cold - even though he still had goosebumps and his teeth were chattering - and decided to swim a little bit. After all, that was what he'd came for. When he was twenty meters or so into the ocean, Riley turned back to her book. But soon, she found herself being interrupted yet again.

'Hey', she heard someone say. She looked up. Who is that? she thought to herself. She didn't recognize the boy. 'Hello', she said cautiously. She didn't think her father would be all too happy to have her around strangers. Especially when the stranger was a boy! 'Can I sit down?' he asked to her. 'Um, yeah, sure', she answered, creating space at the blanket she was sitting on so the boy didn't have to sit on the sand. He sat down next to her and said, 'Nice weather, isn't it?' Riley laughed nervously, not knowing whether he was joking or he just didn't feel the cold. 'Who are you, if I may ask?' Riley asked, looking at the boy. 'I'm Evan', he said and he extended his arm to shake her hand. 'Nice to meet you, Evan. I'm Riley', she said. 'What a beautiful name', he said. Even though Riley felt uncomfortable in his presence, she felt her cheeks flush. 'Thanks.' She peered at the ocean, barely able to make out Lucas, since he was already far into the distance. 'So, what's brought you to Kauai?' the boy - Evan - asked. 'I'm on vacation with my friends. And my parents, brother, and two friends of my parents, who I'd like to call my family as well. What about you?' she asked. 'Me, I've lived here all my life. This place is my home.' 'Wow', Riley said, trying not to sound to impressed, but she was. To her, living on this island equaled living in paradise. They talked for what felt like a minute, but really was almost an entire hour! Riley saw Lucas heading back to shore. 'I think I'm gonna go to my boyfriend, if that's okay', she said. 'Boyfriend?' Riley wasn't sure, but she thought she heard a disappointed note in his voice. 'Yeah, over there', she said, pointing at Lucas in the ocean. 'Oh, yeah, sure. Go. It's no problem.' Riley gave him a small smile before standing up. She started to walk away, but then she felt Evan's hand pulling her back and turned around. 'Wait', he said. 'Do you, um, want to do something together? Like swimming. Or we could go for a walk. Only if you want to', he added quickly when he saw the pensive look on Riley's face. 'As friends?' Riley asked. She needed to be sure they were on the same page. 'Yes, of course', Evan said. 'Okay. Well, sure, I'd love to. Maybe I can bring my friends', she said, smiling. Evan tried to hide his disapproval of that idea. 'Sounds good', he said. 'Or, since I don't know any of them, it could be just the two of us.' 'You don't really know me, either', Riley said. Evan shrugged. 'I thought you were going to your boyfriend? Why are you still here, with me?' 'I'm going to him now', she said. And she took off. 'Sure, Riley, sure', Evan muttered. 'As friends', he repeated her words. 'As friends. Yes, of course. Not.' Riley turned back around. 'Did you say something?' she asked. 'No', Evan said, looking astonished by what he'd said. Of course he wasn't. 'Oh, okay. Bye', Riley said cheerfully and she waved at him.

'Who's that?' Lucas asked immediately when Riley approached him. 'Just some guy', she said. 'His name is Evan. He's nice.' Lucas looked like he was having a hard time believing that. But he pushed away his jealousy and lifted Riley up in the air. 'Into the water!' he said. Riley screamed and laughed at the same time. He tossed her in the ocean, cold water immediately soaking the dress she was wearing. She splashed water at him as revenge. These were the moments she'd never forget.

Hi everyone :) Thanks so much for reading this new chapter, I hope you all liked it! And thank you to those who have been voting on previous chapters, it really means a lot to me :D Have a lovely day!

Love,