Girl Meets Zay and Vanessa's Story

Even though the sun was starting to set, Zay and Vanessa were still on the beach. 'I really enjoyed myself today', Vanessa said, resting her head on Zay's shoulder. 'Me too', he said. 'It kind of reminds me of how things used to be in Texas. Well, not really, of course. You didn't like me back then.' Vanessa laughed softly. 'What makes you think that I do like you now?' she joked. 'Ha ha, very funny', he said. They fell silent for a while, looking at the deep orange sky. Waves were crashing onto the shore and birds were humming beautiful melodies. 'You know', Zay started to say, but then he shut his mouth and just stared towards the ocean. Vanessa glanced at him. 'You know', he repeated, 'I act all tough and all, but you really broke my heart.' Vanessa didn't know what to say. Tears were forming in her eyes. 'Zay... I am really sorry. I- I should never have done the things I did. It wasn't fair or nice on my behalf. I still blame myself for all the mistakes I made back them. I'm so, so sorry.' Zay took her hand. 'It doesn't matter. We're together now and everything here - the beautiful sunset, the shimmering ocean, this whole island - makes me realize how lucky I am to be here with you.' Vanessa swallowed back a tear. No one had ever said something that sweet to her. 'I wouldn't want to be anywhere or with anyone else.' Zay gave her a smile. 'I'm glad to hear that.' Vanessa nodded. 'But still... it pains me to know I hurt you so much', she said. No one said anything. Both of them were thinking of the times Zay still lived in Texas.

Two years ago...

'Cheer practice starts in five minutes, Vanessa. Hurry up!' a girl called. 'I'll be right up', Vanessa answered. She was standing in front of a tall guy with dark brown hair that matched his eyes and his skin color. His name was Zay Babineaux. He was kind of cute, she thought. She twirled a strand of hair around her index finger. 'So, um, yeah... I was kind of wondering if you'd like to go to Avery's party with me on Friday', he said to her. She shot him a sweet smile. 'Of course. I'd love to go with you!' she exclaimed happily. 'But I really have to go practice now. See you on Friday', she said. Vanessa gave him a quick hug and then took off. Another boy appeared next to Zay - Lucas. 'What did she say?' he asked. 'She said yes, bro!'  They fist-bumped. 'I knew you could do it!' Lucas exclaimed. He was really happy for his friend. Zay had been crushing on Vanessa for over a year now. 'Yeah, it was about time I asked her out and now I've done it and oh gosh, I have a date with Vanessa.' He felt like he was on top of the world. 'Yeah you have!'  The boys went to history class, still cheering.

That Friday, Zay started preparing himself for the party. His mom entered his room. 'Oh, you look lovely!' she said. He had on a white shirt with a nice pair of jeans. 'Thanks, Mom', he said. 'Do you think I look cool enough?' he said as he put on a jacket. 'You look amazing.'

Zay was supposed to meet up with Vanessa at Avery's house. The party was already in full swing when he arrived. He examined the crowd, but didn't see his date. 'Hey', Lucas said as he walked up to his friend. 'Are you nervous yet?' 'Me? Nah', Zay said, trying to sound brave. But he knew Lucas know how he really felt. 'Have you seen Vanessa?' he asked him. 'No', Lucas said as he looked around. 'She'll probably be here in a few minutes. Or maybe she's in the kitchen. You know how girls and food are', Lucas said in an attempt to distract his friend from his nervousness. 'Do you want to go look if she's there?' Zay nodded, trying to keep himself from shaking. 'You look great, bro. She'll be pleasantly surprised when she sees you', Lucas told him. 'I always look good', Zay joked, but he didn't laugh himself. They walked through the kitchen door and... Zay couldn't believe what he was seeing. There she was. Vanessa sat on top of the counter with a boy standing in front of her. They were laughing. He was feeding her a strawberry. As much as Zay wanted to slam the fruit out of that guy's hand, he convinced himself to stay where he was. The problem was, he just wasn't convincing enough. He walked up to Vanessa and the guy, who he didn't knew. He tried to smash the strawberry away, but he accidentally ended up hitting the guy's face. Well... maybe it wasn't really an accident.' 'Zay!' Vanessa practically shouted. 'What do you think you're doing?' 'What do I think  I am doing? What are you doing? I though we were supposed to go to this party together. You know, as a date sort of thing.' No one was paying attention to the guy whose nose was now bleeding. Vanessa slid off the counter. 'Zay you're really nice, but I just don't like you that way. I'm sorry. You're just not my type.' 'But you said-' 'I know what I said', Vanessa interrupted him. 'It's just that I'm a cheerleader and well, it would be kind of embarrassing for me to go out with an ordinary guy like you.' Zay was the only one to hear those exact words since the music was really loud. 'But we can totally be friends', Vanessa added. Zay took a deep breath, processing what had just happened. A few people started to gather around them. They hadn't seen Zay punching the guy, whose name appeared to be Scott, but could imagine what had happened. 'Wow...' Zay said. 'I've liked you for so long. I was such an idiot.' Vanessa reached out to him, but he took a step back. 'No, I'm done with you. If you just wanted to be friends, you could've just said so instead of lying to my face and then hurting me like this. You're not worth my time. Besides, being friends with a guy like me probably would be way too embarrassing for a cheerleader like you', he said, recalling what Vanessa had told him. 'Whatever', she said as she walked past him, leaving the injured guy without a second thought. 'I'm so sorry', Lucas said. 'It's fine', Zay said. 'Can we leave?' Lucas nodded and left the party.

The two best friends walked down the street. They could still hear the loud music. Lucas stopped when they passed a playground. 'You know, we can still have a little party of ourselves.' He showed his friends a bag of chips and two cans of cola. 'Where did you get those so quickly?' Zay asked confused. 'I kind of snatched them away from the food table at the party.' Zay couldn't help but laugh. 'Nice one', he said. They sat down on the swings. 'I'm really sorry about the way things turned out tonight.' Zay sighed. 'Yeah... Me too. But I'm glad to have you here with me.' 'I'll always be there for you when you need me', Lucas told his friend. 'And by the way, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. Vanessa isn't the only girl out there.' 'That's true.' A grin started spreading on Zay's face. 'And I'm Zay Babineaux. I can get any girl I want. Vanessa will begging for my attention in a few years.' Lucas smiled. 'I'm sure she will.' They talked for over an hour before returning to their houses. 'Take care, buddy', Lucas said. 'You too.' Lucas started to walk away, but Zay's voice stopped him. 'Lucas?' 'Yeah?' 'Thank you.' Lucas gave his friend a sympathetic look. 'Remember: I'll always be there for you.' And then he finally took off.

Back in the now...

'I'm such a terrible person', Vanessa said. 'I can't believe I actually did that to you.' 'Isaiah, I'm really sorry.' Zay looked up. 'Did you just call me Isaiah?' 'Did I?' 'Yeah, you totally did.' They both laughed. 'I meant what I said, though. I'm really sorry. And if you want me to, I'll actually beg you to go on a date with me when we get back. I'll even come to New York for a weekend if you want me to. That's how much I like you.' Zay smiled at her. That was when he noticed just how beautiful she was. And not just on the outside. He liked hanging out with her, but their conversations had never gotten as deep as this one. 'That means a lot to me', he said. And without any hesitation, he leaned forward and kissed her. What happened in the past didn't matter anymore. She had made some mistakes, but he had as well. Even though the kiss only lasted a few seconds, he felt like it could've been forever. Zay held Vanessa in his arms.'Will you be my girlfriend?' he said. He immediately scolded himself for asking that question after those words left his mouth. Sure, they sort of had a thing going for a while, but she might not want to be his girlfriend. Maybe nothing had changed after all. Maybe she just wanted to be friends. Maybe-  'Yes.' 'What?' 'Yes. I'd love to be your girlfriend.' In Zay's head, he was doing a small victory dance. He smiled to Vanessa and she smiled back. 'Best. Date. Ever.' He couldn't wait to share this news with his best friend, but he knew Lucas was also away, with Riley. He hoped things had turned out great between those two as well. For now, he decided to just focus on this great moment with Vanessa - his girlfriend! - and stared off into the distance.

Hi! This is my new chapter. I know this story is about Rucas and Joshaya, but I wanted to do a Vanessa&Zay(Vaneszay?) chapter, so here it is! I know this sounds weird, but honestly I kind of liked the idea of Zay and Lucas as a couple while writing this. No worries, I still like Rucas better! I want to thank all of you for reading and thanks to those who have been voting on Girl Meets Hawaii :) And I'm sorry, but I have to say this: If you haven't heard of them, please listen to a Little Mix song. It's a talented girl group and they have so many beautiful songs, for example Secret Love Song. I just wanted to say that. That's all for now.

Love,