28// Loving His Beast

Chapter Twenty-Eight | 2 weeks later

|Danica|

I always wanted to be like those pregnant women on television when they were having their moments about how to give birth.

My day began at 4:00 a.m. I had gotten used to waking up several times during the night to eat or use the restroom, but when I awoke this time, things felt very different.

I suppose that when it's your first time to experience early labor, you can't be sure that it's the real thing, and I wasn't sure if it was real or Braxton hicks.

I sat up in bed for a few minutes, and it wasn't long before Brock woke up to see what was going on with me as he could constantly feel me moving off and on the bed.

When he asked, I said, "I'm not sure. Something feels different."

This jolted him upright, and he asked, through the grog, "Really?"

I told him that it could be a false alarm, so I went and took a shower to see if the warm water falling on my belly might calm things down.

Since Brock woke up, we had established that my contractions were already 3 minutes apart.

As I took a shower, it crossed my mind that this might be my last shower for a while, so I ought to, you know, wash my hair and stuff.

Just after I rinsed the conditioner, I had the first contraction that brought me to my knees. While I was down there, the water getting more relaxed against my back, as the thought of me meeting my baby today washed over me.

That realization was more overwhelming than I ever imagined it would be - and I had imagined it for a long time, like days away.

I called Brock to help me out of the shower and asked that he get me the exercise ball to bounce on.

As I sat on it, I brushed my teeth, put lotion on, and even blow-dried my hair. I was calling the contractions out to Brock, and he kept time.

I came back into our bedroom and asked him for the update, and he said, "Still 3 minutes."

Nothing had slowed or calmed, so I told him that I thought it was time to call my doula to see what she thought.

Brock got her on the phone immediately, and she asked for the details and then asked to hear one of my contractions.

After one had passed, I got on the phone with her and reiterated what Brock had told her. I suppose I expected her to tell me what signs to look out for or notes to take, but instead, what I heard was, I was in labor.

It was around 5:30 a.m is when I called my mom to come over. She assured me that she was up, would jump in the shower, grab a bite, and be on her way to my house.

I then sent Amari and Morgan a text that said, "Maybe having a baby today," to which they both replied, "Ok, keep me posted! I love you!"

Brock took over the communication at that point, asking Brie to keep Nicole in the loop.

I continued to labor on the exercise ball while watching the morning news in the living room and listening to ocean sounds.

My contractions remained consistent but were still easy enough to talk in between and a little during.

My doula showed up at 6:00 a.m and asked if she could check the baby and me out.

She said I was progressing nicely, and the baby's heart tones sounded beautiful.

Mom arrived shortly after that and immediately said, "I just knew you were going into labor soon!"

Brock had started asking if he could take a shower and eat. I think he knew it was going to be a long day.

"Go ahead, " I told him.

Nicole and Brie arrived within minutes of each other.

Brock left to take a shower while my mom cooked breakfast for him and the kids.

Dr. Wang arrived, gave the baby and me a quick check, said everyone was doing great, and from there, it seems that things took off.

Dr. Wang suggested that I try relaxing in the bath because my contractions were growing stronger each time.

He showed Brock how to keep me warm by covering my belly with a towel since I was far too enormous to be submerged completely.

I climbed into the warm tub, Brock covered me, and I let a few contractions pass.

I didn't spend long in the tub before I got out and moved to the couch.

Between contractions, I was getting cold, so a nest was set up for me.

Contractions were growing more and more intense, and I was pulling more inside of myself with each one.

Sometime between the bath and the couch, things shifted.

I couldn't speak anymore and would moan and groan to communicate and head movements.

I guess I did get one more full sentence out.

Then after four hours of groaning and eating, my beautiful baby girl was born.

I was now a mother.