Unexpected Guest (2)

Zelda's relationship with her father was like one out of a dream. He hardly ever raised his voice to her, and he raised her to value both life and the feelings of those around her. He disciplined her where needed, and as a result, she grew up respecting those around her.

Except for some of her teachers. She would totally punch their arrogant faces if she thought she could get away with it.

Zelda eagerly awaited her seventeenth birthday. She and her father had set aside the day to go to the zoo!

She loved animals, and seeing them up close and personal at the biggest zoo in the country was like a dream. It definitely beat seeing them on a screen.

On the day of Zelda's birthday, she woke to the smell of syrup and pancakes. With a large smile, she jumped out of bed and got dressed for the day. It was finally time!

As Zelda skipped down the stairs, she saw her father, his shoulders rigid, and his face holding a small scowl.

Why would he be upset today? Did he have to work? No, no, tell me he doesn't have to work! She hit the last step slowly, coming to a stop.

The moment she came down the stairs, however, he smiled and relaxed. "Good morning, my old little girl."

She smiled. "Morning dad," she said, then she pressed her lips together. "Anything wrong?"

He sighed. "Before you go into the kitchen for breakfast, I have to warn you. There's someone in there."

She frowned. "What?"

"We'll have a visitor for a few days."

"What? Who?"

Kaebora folded his arms. "The son of an old friend of mine."

Zelda pressed her lips together, holding in a rising annoyance. "Why is he staying with us?"

He sighed, his hand raising to his temple. "His father asked me to fulfill an old favor. I'm so sorry it had to be on your birthday."

Zelda's spirits dropped. "...is he coming to the zoo with us?"

"Yes, but reserve your judgments till you meet him, okay?"

"Kay..." she said as she walked into the kitchen. There she saw a boy wearing brown boots, (shoes in the house?) wrapped in an apron, and washing the dishes in the sink. She narrowed her eyes and then walked normally over to the counter where her pancakes were waiting.

"Hi," she greeted softly.

The boy looked over at her, and he scrutinized to the point where she felt uncomfortable. "Morning," he said as he turned back to the dishes.

Zelda looked over to her father. He shrugged. She sighed and started to eat; what a birthday this was going to be.

_-_-_

Zelda tried her best to ignore the strange boy, who's name was Link, and focus on having a good time. The good time she had been anticipating for months, only to be ruined by a stranger; who wasn't very nice.

She ran over to the crocodile exhibit, leaning over the rail and smiling down at the large reptiles. They were barely moving in the bright sunshine. "Hey dad, look at the crocs. They aren't moving. In a way, they remind me of cats."

"Why is that?" he quizzed.

"Cause they're sunbathing," she said.

"And why are they doing that?"

"Well, cats do it because it feels nice on their fur, but reptiles do it because they're cold blooded and need the sun to warm themselves."

"Very good," her father smiled.