Death and Parents (46)

Leaving the mortal world... That was like dying wasn't it?

If death felt like what she was experiencing... Maybe it wasn't so bad. Although there was something uncomfortable that she was laying on... but...

Zelda opened her eyes. She was in a small room, a nice... familiar room. A beam of sunlight was hitting her right in the eyes, so she rolled over. That motion felt like she was rolling over a pile of swords, extracting a groan from her tired lips. As she moved, she saw someone sitting beside the bed.

Her tired eyes opened wide. "...daddy?"

Kaebora lifted his head, and a smile broke out across his face. "Good to see you, Zellie," he said as he leaned forward and gently moved her hair out of her face.

She squeezed her eyes shut and opened them again. "So...so I guess they really killed me." If her father was there too... It wouldn't be so bad.

Kaebora shook his head. "No... You're not dead." He took in her confused expression and sighed. "I'm so sorry, Zelda... for everything I couldn't tell you...."

"You... you're alive?" Zelda's eyes filled gradually with tears.

"Barely so... but... I made it through."

"They told me you died."

"They lied."

Zelda pushed aside her discomfort that her body was screaming at her, and she fell upon her father. Her happy sobs echoed around the whole cabin.

Kae smiled as he patted her back. "Y'know I heard you and Link really bonded while I was in recovery..."

Zelda leaned back and hit him on the chest lightly. "That's all you have to say?" she said with a hiccup.

"For now... but we have all the time in the world to talk, later. But I totally called it, if you remember-"

Before he could finish, the door to the room burst open and Link flew inside. Literally.

He landed beside the bed and hugged her tightly.

"Ow!" she yelped.

"Sorry," he said as he leaned back. "Sorry... I'm just..." he stared at her. "We didn't know if you were going to wake up."

"How could I leave you?" She smiled as she reached up to him and he leaned down.

After a minute Kaebora cleared his throat. "There's someone else here to see you..."

Zelda brought herself away from kissing Link with a bit of difficulty and then looked at her father. "There is?" she asked, confused. She didn't know anyone else, besides the fairies. "Who?"

"...My wife," he said, then cleared his throat. "Your mother."

She stared, wide-eyed. "Wait... I... What?" she looked at Link.

"Turns out I was wrong... you do have parents," Link said with a grin. "Never have I been happier to be wrong."

"If... if... that..." Zelda struggled with her words as she stared at Kae. His wife is my mother which means... "You... actually are my father?"

Kaebora smiled. "That I am."

Zelda's eyes filled with tears again. My dad is alive...

Kae cleared his throat again. "As I was saying before... your mother..." The broadest smile she had ever seen spread across his face.

Zelda looked to the doorway, and even through her tear-blurred vision, she saw a woman leaning against the doorway.

"Nice to see you again Zelda," Tel greeted.