Leverage (20)

8/25/16

((That little ball of cuteness keeps running across the keyboard and he always manages to hit a few numbers.

When there are typos I'll blame him xD))

"For what?" Zelda asked, fearing that she already knew the answer.

Tel avoided looking at her. "For you."

She raised her gaze to the moon which seemed closer than ever, her heart beating fast. "Why?" she asked, "why would they want me? Why am I worth anything?"

Tel folded her hands behind her. "Did you ever stop to consider that maybe that indestructibility of yours isn't the only thing different about you?"

Zelda brought her arms around herself. "I've considered a lot of things. I don't know what to believe."

"I don't know anything for sure... but Hyrule wants you. The King specifically. Rumors are all I can tell you, we don't know the exact reason why, we just knew what we could gain by giving you to them."

She looked at Tel with hard eyes. "Tell me the rumors then, you owe me that."

Tel pressed her lips together and nodded. "Seventeen years ago, the people started to fear that the islands were sinking. Not by much, but it was enough to cause a panic in the kingdom." Her voice was quick, as if they didn't have much time. "For some reason, Hyrule is convinced that you're the key to stopping that. Some even say you're causing it."

"That's ridiculous," Zelda replied, "there's no way I could be doing that. How stupid is this king?"

"Cruel and cunning, he is, but stupid he's not," Tel replied.

She continued shaking her head. "No," she said, "that's just impossible. I'm a normal girl that lived in Starfall her whole life." But even as she said it, she knew it couldn't be true.

"It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what they think, and they're coming for you. They're coming for us all." She turned to face the night. "As a matter of fact... They're almost here."

"What?"

"We're evacuating. Hyrule didn't send the promised patrol that they were expecting to come and take you from us. They sent nearly half the Guard, and they're going to try to wipe us off the map once and for all tonight." Her fingers curled into fists. "We won't let that happen. All we can do is hope to out-fly them. We can only run away." Tel looked down at her hands. "It's a disaster."

"Did you already pack then?" she asked as she pointed to the pack tied to her back.

Tel shook her head, slipping the pack off and setting it down on the ground. "I'm one of the few who volunteered to stay behind and distract the force. I'm not anticipating needing my belongings anymore."

Zelda only then noticed the short sword that was strapped to Tel's hip. "You can't be serious."

"I'll do whatever I can to make up for what I've done in the past," she said determinedly.

"And what about what Moir was saying? If you use me as leverage you might all get out of this alive."

Tel smiled sadly. "You're a good girl Zelda. I know that Kaebora would be very proud of you."

The rejection of her suggestion was evident, and she folded her arms. "So then what am I out here for?"

"Kreuk will no doubt try to give you to Hyrule in exchange for our lives, but it won't work, and all that will accomplish is giving the king exactly what he wants, and I will never let that happen. Not while I have the power to prevent it."

Zelda frowned... that hadn't answered her question.

"He thinks I brought you out here to give you over to him as a bargaining chip when he arrives."

"...and will you?"

"No, Zelda," Tel said, holding the pack out towards her. "I brought you out here so that you can escape the fate waiting for you if caught by the Guard."

Zelda took the bag. "You're letting me go?" she asked.

"I am."

She looked up at her, sadness welling inside. "I trusted you, Tel. Even when everything told me I shouldn't."

Tel smiled. "Thank you for that Zelda... may we meet again."

From her voice, she knew that Tel wasn't expecting to ever see her again. That she wasn't expecting to live past the day. Zelda stepped forwards, and even surprising herself, she hugged the woman that was saving her life. "Thank you."