On The Run (25)

9/21/16

They left the forest when it was still dark and walked across a field, straight into another forest where they continued as they had been going before.

However, when they reached a part of the forest with a city set alongside, Zelda convinced Link that they should stay there.

She checked them into a hotel, (not a motel) and they went up to their room. She went straight to the bathroom, and Link collapsed onto the bed and groaned. She'd heard it even through the closed door.

When she came back into the room, he was sitting against the headboard, looking normal. Nice try, but I already heard you groan like an old man. "You flew too much," she said.

"I've flown longer."

"Carrying another person?" she asked, sitting on the other bed.

"... No."

"I can't believe you wanted to fly further," she said, shaking her head.

"I don't want to get caught."

"We'll be fine for one night. You were careful," Zelda said and then paused. "Do your wings hurt?"

"A little," he replied in a dismissive way.

"I'm sorry..."

He shook his head. "Don't be. I'll do whatever necessary to protect you from Hyrule; I owe you that."

"For what? Lying to me?"

"That... and for leaving you to get caught by those rebels."

"Why did you leave me?" she asked, folding her arms.

"I was... conflicted. I had gotten to know you and yet was still trying to tell myself that Hyrule was a righteous country to serve. I convinced myself that it would all get resolved if I could just talk to my superior... I couldn't bring myself to just hand you over before they convinced me that it was the right thing to do. It wasn't. But when I came back to get you... you were gone..." He shook his head. "Actually that was lucky, because if you hadn't gotten kidnapped, you would already be in the grip of the king."

He was on the spot... makes more sense now. "Getting kidnapped wasn't so bad... They were actually pretty nice to me for the most part. Most cordial kidnapping ever." She smiled slightly. "Tel was the kindest woman I've ever met. She introduced me to the world above the clouds."

"Tel? As in Telthati?" Link asked, shocked.

"You know her?"

He shook his head ."Not personally, but it was a big deal when she got branded as a traitor to the country, like... six years ago. I can't believe she's still alive."

Zelda bit her lip. "She was a great person... a quick friend. But... but I think she's dead now... she stayed behind so that more of the Remnant could get to safety... So that I could get to safety," she looked down at her hands as her vision clouded over.

He moved to her bed and sat beside her, laying his hand on both of hers. Link took a moment of silence for the loss of her friend, and then put an arm around her shoulder. "If she helped you and everyone else, then she redeemed herself in the end. I'm sure that's how she wanted to go."

Zelda nodded but started to tear up. She couldn't help it. With the comfort of having him close, the dam that all her emotions were residing behind broke open, and she buried herself against his shoulder.

He turned and put his other arm around her as she cried into his chest.

---

Zelda opened her eyes and then she stretched. Looking over at Link's bed, she found it empty. Her mind went to every reason he could be gone, good or bad, but the calculations came to a halt the moment she heard the shower running. She sighed in relief and leaned back against the pillow again.

She thought back to the night before. When she had finished crying, he squeezed her in a hug and then moved back to his bed. Her crying had sent her into an exhausted state, and she fell asleep almost the moment she got under the covers.

"Oh, you're awake," Link said, as he left the bathroom, toweling his hair.

"Mmm."

"Feeling better?"

She shifted, embarrassed at her emotional behavior, but not regretting it. "Yeah... just needed to get it out..." She looked up at what he was wearing and frowned. "We need to buy you some new clothes," she said, looking him up and down.

"... Are they that bad?"

"They aren't exactly Starfall clothes. Also, you only have what you're wearing now... You need at least two so you can wash one while wearing the other."

"I can't carry much more."

"We don't have to travel by wing. We can take the train now," Zelda insisted.

He dropped the towel on his bed, his hair a mess. "Fine... Let's go shopping then."

Zelda took a shower next and enjoyed changing into fresh clothes.

"So where did you get all this money anyways?" he asked.

"Oh... Interesting story actually," she said with a slight chuckle. "When I fell, I crashed into a railroad storage shed and... well I got quite a bit of money from it. I guess the gang I stole it from didn't appreciate it."

"Those people in the park were part of a gang?"

"Yep... At least the gunfire got your attention."

Link looked at her. "Why were you still in that town? I'm sure you realized they'd be looking for you."

"I knew..." she said. "I just... If I left I had no idea how else you could find me."

He hesitated. "Why did you want me to?"

Zelda took her time with her response. She didn't quite know the answer to that question herself. "I... I don't know.... I was hoping you... you could be a friend to me again. Like you were before Kae died."

He smiled. "Well, dangerous as it was... I'm really glad you risked it all so I could find you again. I really... I'm grateful."

Zelda nodded, unsure how else to reply. "We should go."