Life (30)

Their days spent at the cabin reminded Zelda, however vaguely, of her life before all the crap happened. She didn't have video games to take her mind off of everything, but she did have Link.

Most of the time spent there he read from the stack of books that they had bought from the store.

He really loved to read.

For some reason, she never even thought to question where he had learned to.

While he did that, she spent her time distracting herself with learning the ins and outs of living in the cabin and exploring the area around them.

By the end of the fourth day, Link had resumed teaching her proper swordplay. While she still tried to keep it fun, Zelda took it more seriously than she had before. Now she knew she might actually be in a real battle; and that she couldn't just rely on her indestructibility to protect her from everything.

Zelda was still fascinated with the magic of his wings... and she regularly asked to see them.

He'd accidentally knocked over one of the lamps one of the times he had shown her them inside the cabin, and so he was extra careful when phasing them from then on.

"So that's how you caught up to me all those times!" she'd said. "You were flying!"

He had laughed. "I'm surprised you just got that... even more surprised that you never noticed them when I did that. Even the flares in the air when the wings vanish..."

"You always did it while I wasn't exactly the most stable of individuals," she'd defended.

"True."

---

On the night of the sixth day staying at the cabin, her dreams were interrupted once again in order to meet a certain fairy.

"You're a hard one to find."

Zelda's eyes jolted open.

Invee sat cross-legged in the middle of a clearing.

For a while there she had almost forgotten about the fairy. "Not like you were the one finding me," she said as she stood up from her bed and walked over to her.

"No, but I don't decide when the meetings take place."

Zelda folded her arms and stared down at her. "Do you know what's happened since the last one?"

"A little."

"Tel helped me escape," she said. "I was right to trust her."

The fairy scowled. "So the fairies were wrong, it doesn't happen often."

"Sure." Her fingers tightened around her arms, but she kept her anger in check. "So what's the point of the meeting this time? To warn me that Link isn't trustworthy?"

"You're back with that knight?" Invee asked.

"Yes I am," she replied, glaring at the fairy. "And no matter what you say I'm sticking with him."

"I'm not saying anything against him," Invee replied, scratching her chin. "In fact, I'm pretty sure you're right to trust him."

"What?"

"He's like you," she said.

"In what way?"

"He's got a part to play in all of this too... I wouldn't be surprised if he was having a meeting right now as well, now that you've settled down."

"With a fairy?"

"No, with a toad,"' Invee replied sarcastically.

She shot her an unamused look. "So was there a point to this meeting?"

"I don't know, reconnect?" she shrugged.

"You don't actually know?"

"Hey, it's not like these dreams come with a manual or anything."

"Hmph."

"But... I think you should check with your knight and discuss these dreams with him, y'know, just in case."

"In case what?"

Invee shrugged.

----

The bright sunlight hit her hard as it did every morning, and Zelda yawned. As if my life needed to be any more cryptic, she thought as she slipped out of bed and went to start her morning routine.

She went out onto the back deck, combing her wet hair.

Link sat in the swing, his head resting against the chain, eyes closed.

"Morning," she greeted.

"Morning..."

"Sleep alright?" she asked.

"Well enough," he replied.

She bit her lip... she had no idea how she was supposed to broach the subject, so she just went for it, "Um... I've been having some weird dreams."

He opened his eyes and looked up at her. "What kind of weird dreams?"

"They started that night at the motel, right before I got kidnapped by the Remnant. This... well this fairy-"

"A fairy?" he interrupted, leaning forward in the swing. "You dreamed about a fairy too?"

"Too?"

"A fairy appeared in my dream last night."

She pressed her lips together. "What did she say to you?"

"He, I think, was talking about how the goddess assigns these fairy partners to whoever is going to be aligned with the fate of the world... or something like that. It was weird."

Zelda nodded. "That's what Invee said the first time I saw her. I've had a few meetings like that since."

"When?"

"Like I said, the first one was that night in the motel, the second was while I was being held by the Remnant, and she told me I had to escape. The third was last night."

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why would a fairy come to me? I mean, I get one being assigned to you, you're in a prophecy for Din's sake, but me? I'm just a knight."

"Just a knight?" Zelda shook her head. "You're not just a knight, I thought you got past seeing yourself like that. Like you said, we're in this together. We're going to take on Hyrule together, if that's not the fate of the world crap worthy of a fairy, I don't know what is."