Extended Stay (3)

Zelda was in a very bad mood at school that day. The reason for this being that when she left for school that morning she learned that Link would be staying another week. Another week.

With that disturbing news, she found that she couldn't concentrate on school, and simply rode her classes out on a wave of daydreams.

After school finished she walked to the lab, but when she arrived she was told that they were doing an experiment. She sighed as she was resigned to wait.

Of course they were doing an experiment.

"Is Link allowed back there?" she asked.

"Kaebora said he could. I'm sorry Zelda, but you'll have to wait out here," Chell informed.

She sighed again and plopped down in her chair as usual and waited.

For two hours.

Her father finally came out, and she looked up at him in annoyance. "What's going on? Why can't I go back there?"

"It's just a dangerous experiment, and I can't afford the distraction of my wonderful daughter."

"I could help you though..."

Kaebora smiled but gently shook his head. "It would probably be best if you and Link both went home."

"What? No, you're not going to stick me with him for the rest of the day!" Zelda complained.

Her father looked past her and she whipped around. Link was standing behind her; she glared at him and put her backpack around her shoulders. "Whatever," she snapped, "whatever, I'm going home," she said as she stormed out.

The glass front doors shut behind her as she walked away, but then she heard them swing open again.

Glancing back she saw Link leaving the building behind her. She scowled as she turned forwards and started to walk faster, intent on leaving him behind.

"Zelda, wait!"

She ignored him and plugged her headphone into her ears in order to block out the world for the time being.

Link must have taken the hint that she didn't want anything to do with him because she wasn't bothered the rest of the walk home.

As soon as she reached the house she pulled out her keys and opened the front door. As she entered, her hand rested on the lock, and for a moment... just a moment... she debated locking the door on Link. It was with her father in mind that she dropped her hand and ran up the stairs.

She dropped her backpack off in the corner of her room and immediately went to her bathroom to take a shower; as though with hot water and soap she could wash off her frustrations.

After she got out, she got dressed and started to brush her hair in front of her vanity.

There was a knock on her bedroom door.

"Go away," she snapped.

"No," he replied.

"Link, I swear to Din I will-"

"How in the world do you know that curse?"

"What?" she asked, "What's so weird about it?"

"It's an old word in fairy tale books. I didn't think you'd know it."

"It's just a curse my father uses. He's not one for real swear words," Zelda replied.

"I see."

"What do you want, Link?" she asked.

"I was wondering if you would teach me a card game."

Finished with brushing out her almost dry hair, (she had previously used a blow dryer) she got up and opened her door. Link was leaning against the wall directly across from the doorway.

"You don't have cards in your family either?"

"They don't like them... something about gambling," he said.

"No wonder you don't want to go home. Sheesh, what do you do for fun?" she asked.

Link shrugged. "Swordplay."

She frowned. "Seriously? Cards are out, complicated weapon forms are fine?"

Link shrugged again.

"Alright, fine, I'll teach you," she said as she walked past him and down into the dining room.

As she got out the cards Link sat down. "Hey, mind if I ask you a few questions?" he asked.

"Sure, shoot."

"Do you love Kaebora?" he asked.

"Of course I do," she said seriously, "why would you even ask me that?"

He didn't respond. "Why do you like science?"

"Because I grew up with a father who loves it. His enthusiasm made me love it too," she replied, but she was getting rather annoyed with his questions already.

"Why do you get into fights with your teachers?"

Zelda frowned as she set the cards on the table. How do you even know about that? "What's with these questions?"

"Just answer them," he replied.

She glared for a minute but then sighed. "Fine. I don't like my teachers because most of them insult my father's work."

"They insult you too."

"So? They don't know me."

"They don't know your father either."

"So what?"

"It shouldn't bother you that they insult him falsely then."

Zelda bit her lip. "You don't understand."

"Explain it to me then."

"Haven't you ever had to defend someone you cared about when they weren't around to defend themselves?"

"No."

"Liar. Everyone has," she said as she looked down at the cards, "You know what? I don't want to do this anymore, I'm going outside."

"Wait, one last question..." he continued.

"What."

"Do you seriously believe in Hyrule?"

Zelda stared at him, shocked by the blatant question. Then she narrowed her eyes, she really didn't like him. She turned around without answering and left through the back door. She walked to the swing and sat down in it, her feet dragging on the ground.

Link was just like the others, he didn't believe in Hyrule either. Was he just there to mock her and her father? Wait... No, he was in the back of the lab when she wasn't allowed in. He must have believed in the sciences but just didn't believe in Hyrule.

In a way that made sense... but there was so much information that supported the existence of Hyrule that she couldn't believe people still doubted... or maybe she was just naive...

No. Her father believed, and she believed in him. Her father was not naive. He was a scientist.

As she scuffed her feet on the ground she remembered a time when her legs were too short to reach the dirt beneath her feet, so the only way she could swing was with her father's help.

A charming, youthful memory of her playing with her father flashed in front of her mind. She didn't know why, but it made her feel sad.