Escalation (39)

Zelda took his hand and shook her head. "You won't," she swore.

"You can't know that..."

"I can," she replied, moving one hand to his face, which almost looked pained. "I believe that it's not so simple for a goddess to die," she said. Even if I am once or twice removed... "And don't you think that a, theoretically, 'life-threatening' situation is the most likely place that these powers will emerge?"

"I don't care about the logic..."

"This isn't just about us..." she replied softly. "It isn't about me. This is about millions of people who will die if we can't stop the mad king."

He closed his eyes, and his fists, and then he shook his head. "I understand why we have to but..." A shaky breath followed. "But why did it have to be like this..."

_-:-_

Link stood stiffly, the pack over his shoulders.

"Ready?" Zelda asked.

"No way," he replied as they took a final look at the cabin.

"This will work," she told him.

"I hope you're right."

Then he turned to her; the look on his face being barely concealed devastation.

She stepped towards him and put her arms around his sides, and he enveloped her in his embrace.

It felt almost impossible to let go... And when they had, the reality of the plan crashed down around Zelda's shoulders.

She was sacrificing her freedom, and there was a chance she might be sacrificing her life.

All for people who didn't even know her name. People who probably would have mocked her for believing that the islands even existed.

And it was up to her to make sure they never found out that they were real.

Link pulled her back to him, but not for a hug.

If Zelda was wrong, if she lost this gamble, this would be her last kiss.

If she was wrong...

No... I'm not wrong. She leaned away and looked Link in the eyes. "I will not allow you to lose me."

He closed his eyes, and she thought that maybe he was about to break. That maybe what she had said was too much... But then he kissed her again and she allowed herself to get swept away for a wonderful moment.

A wonderful moment that she wished could last forever...

Then she had to push him away. "You need to go."

He grabbed her wrists and held her there. "I will find you."

"I know," she said, struggling to keep her voice level. Unbreaking.

He let her go and turned slowly away, as though the motion went against his entire being. Then his wings appeared behind him, and he took off into the forest.

He couldn't bear to look back.

Zelda watched until she couldn't see him anymore, and then picked up one of the stwords still laying on the grass.

The past few days had been... they had been amazing. They rivaled even her memories of her father.

Thinking about Kaebora still stung... To know that her life had literally been a lie... Yet she knew that wasn't quite true. Sure, Kaebora wasn't her father... But he disobeyed his orders from Hyrule and treated her like she was his daughter.