Revelation (42)

Zelda bit her lip. "Oh yeah? What makes you think that?" she asked cooly.

Mye smiled when she saw the question had an effect on her captive. "What made you not think so yourself? You blew up their experiment by just being in the room. Your little 'pulse' that you send out doesn't mix well with... dangerous experiments."

Zelda's eyes widened. No, I didn't do that, she thought. It wasn't my fault... It wasn't my fault! "That's... you're wrong."

Then, as her face struck the floor for what seemed like the thousandth time, she recalled how her father had sometimes banned her from going into the lab... How he hadn't wanted her to come into the experimenting room that day... How the moment she had gone in, the experiment had started to fail....

No.

No, it wasn't me. "You're lying."

"Oh? Denial? Didn't think I'd be seeing that from you." Mye laughed.

"It had nothing to do with me..." she said her voice trailing into thought. Wait... How did she know what happened in the lab? "It was you, wasn't it? You sabotaged that experiment to get him out of the way, didn't you?!"

"Believe what you wish, little stone." She scowled. "The truth remains." Mye gave another one of her jackal smiles. "But it doesn't matter... We have you now, and you aren't going anywhere. Not until you're dead." She smirked. "Now... onto today's experiment."

"Which is?" Zelda yawned pointedly.

Anything to get my attention off of this topic.

"Why spoil the surprise?"

Zelda watched as she walked out of the room, suddenly apprehensive. She had to leave for it? What, was the experiment?Just keeping her in suspense?

Apparently not.

The loudest noise she had ever heard blared out of nowhere and it didn't stop, didn't waver, it just was.

Her arms strained against the ropes, but she couldn't get her hands to her ears.

The sound hurt. She could feel it in her teeth, her clenched shoulders, in her very mind.

Through her blurry vision, she saw a slight yellow glow coming from her arms and hands... but she couldn't process it, couldn't even think, she could barely breathe.

---

Zelda opened her eyes and gasped when she saw an empty forest clearing. Realizing she must have fainted from the loud noise, she jumped out of the chair, the bonds falling away.

"Invee! Link!?" she called. "Is anyone there?"

Link and the two fairies appeared at the edge of the clearing at a run. "We're here Zel-"

"Quick, Invee! What does transcendence look like!?" she asked in haste. She knew Mye could wake up her up at any moment.

"A golden glow all over your body that you can use to-"

Zelda threw herself into Link's arms. "Then I think I've got it!"

His arms were tight around her. "We've found you, so get out of there! Good lu-"

Her dream shattered all around her when her head hit the ceiling. As the chair slammed into the ground again she struggled to find her tongue; to keep up her indifferent, sarcastic attitude even in the midst of her fury at her dream being interrupted. "I'm getting really tired of that..." she said softly, every cell in her body on fire with her anticipation of making her escape.

"Then I guess I'm doing my job right," she said as she threw Zelda's chair across the room, then dragged her back.

"Why do you want to kill me so badly?" she yelled.

Mye picked the chair up with her magic and slammed Zelda into the rough-edged fire pit.

She held in the scream, but couldn't help the gasp of pain. She'd never felt that kind of pain before.

"It's my job, little stone," Mye finally replied as she set Zelda down and leaned over to look at her knees. Her eyes were wide and eerily gleeful as she reached out and touched the shiny, red-gold blood that was oozing out of the patch of her missing skin.

Zelda hissed in pain as Mye poked her knee.

She had to get out. Now.

"Just your job? You don't know why?" she pressed, trying but failing to keep her mind clear as she prepared her escape plan. Her hatred for the woman was bubbling inside of her, and she knew that if she wasn't careful, she would kill her.

Mye shrugged as she looked at Zelda's blood on her fingers. "Nope, I just like to hurt people," she replied with a smile.

As Zelda looked at her blood for the first time, she took a steadying breath. This was her time. It was now, or literally never.

"Well... screw you."