Lost Sleep (38)

7/10/17

She stared unfocused at the ceiling above her bed, lost in her tangle of thoughts.

Zelda was stuck between beating herself up and being terrified that her world was close to ending again. From happy to broken to happy again... And now this?

So desperate had she been to have some sort of 'normal life,' she had forgotten that there were countless lives on the line.

A mad king, a prophetic stone, and a traitor knight... That trinity would decide the fate of the worlds.

The surface and the sky.

It was late in the night, but she felt no call to sleep. It kept getting harder and harder for her to find rest...

I wonder if it has something to do with my powers...

She struggled with her insomnia for another few minutes, then got out of her bed and walked into the living room. As she left, she spotted Link sitting in one of the chairs looking down at a book.

Then the light flickered off.

"Oh... I'm sorry..." she said softly, turning to go back.

"No, wait, Zelda," he said.

Zelda hesitated before she let go of the doorknob and walked back into the room. A light at the front porch stayed on for just long enough for her to plot a course before it went dark.

"Sorry I interrupted..." she said as she sat down on the long couch.

He set his book aside with a soft sound. "No need for apologies, I wasn't really reading anyways."

Zelda bit her lip. "Couldn't sleep?"

"No."

"Yeah... me neither."

"Thinking about the islands?"

She nodded and sat down. "I feel like an idiot..."

"Why?"

"Don't you feel it too? We forgot about them..."

"Being happy doesn't mean we forgot about the end mission. You can be happy and fulfill prophecies at the same time."

Zelda frowned. "How do you know? Did you read the manual?"

Link smiled, and there was enough light coming in from the front porch again for her to see it. "There is no manual, but I have read a lot of books," he replied.

Zelda sighed. "Destiny can't be easy... I suppose."

"We don't have to help the difficulty along." Link put his hand on her shoulder.

She nodded, but her mind kept going back to her guilt. "I... I forgot though."

Link sighed. "Come here," he said, his arms open and waiting for her.

She shook her head for a moment. Almost unwilling to allow herself to be happy so soon. Yet as his hand brushed against her shoulder, her unnecessary resolve crumbled.

---

"Hello, Zelda."

Zelda opened her eyes after what seemed like only a second since Link had said 'come here.'

Well, I fell asleep. "Invee... how many times... is this going to happen..."

"There's a reason this time," the fairy said.

"Then get on with it."

Invee scowled. "No need to be like that. I'm here to tell you two things. But first, about your powers-"