Explain (12)

Zelda's eyes flashed open. She immediately tried to stand up, but found this task difficult with her hands tied behind her back. She groaned and looked from the rope to the tree she was tied to.

This week was not going well for her.

She gave the ropes a small tug, and then a yank, but nothing happened except that she almost tripped herself.

"Link?!" she called, looking around. That little twit was nowhere to be seen. She tried to look behind her and focus instead on her bonds. If she couldn't be hurt... could she just tug on them until they broke? But if they were breakable then Link wouldn't have left her.

Where the heck was he anyways?

She had no choice but to just wait until he showed up. Her head didn't hurt, but it had a shadow of an ache... and she didn't quite remember what had happened before she passed out.

The longer she waited, the more her temper mounted.

She was angry.

She was so angry.

Her sadness and her confusion and lack of answers had now been turned into a bitter rage.

A faint rustling came from behind the tree she was tied to. Then came a yawn, and Link rounded the tree.

She was satisfied to see a lovely red bruise on the side of his head where she'd kicked him.

That sword was nowhere to be seen.

"Morning," he greeted.

Zelda did not return the greeting. "Did you hit me?"

He avoided her gaze, and instead rummaged through a backpack. "I knocked you unconscious."

"Wait, wait. Lemme guess... For my own good, right?" she snarled.

"I sense a little hostility," he replied softly as he pulled out a small box of cereal, and a bag of beef jerky.

"A little?" Zelda snorted.

Link glanced at her, and then walked to the other side of the tree to eat his little meal.

Zelda glared at the canopy. What have I done to deserve any of this? she thought bitterly. "Why is this happening..." she mumbled, closing her eyes as she struggled to imagine herself back in her room, waiting for Kae to come in and tell her that breakfast was ready...

But of course she was fooling herself... that would never happen again.

---

After several hours of glaring up at the canopy, Zelda finally raised her voice to address Link. "Hey, I have to go to the bathroom."

"We're in the woods," came his curt reply.

"Does it matter? I have to pee, let me go."

"Are you going to try to run again?"

"Oh, yeah, cause I got so far last time," she snorted.

Link came around the tree and stared down at her. "Fine," he said as he knelt behind her and untied the rope.

She brought them to her front and rubbed her wrists, even though they didn't hurt. "Be right back then."

He raised an eyebrow. "You expect me to just sit here while you try to run away again?"

She sighed. "Fine. I'll question you the whole time, and you can ignore me like you've been doing for like... the whole time I've known you," she jabbed.