Unleashed (43)

"Well... screw you," Zelda said in a comically flat voice as the ropes and buckles that were tying her to the chair burst into flames.  

"What?" Mye screamed, stepping forwards, her hand reaching out to grab her prisoner with magic.

Zelda flashed invisible.

"Where did you-"

Mye's voice went silent as Zelda swung the poker from the cold fireplace and struck the woman on the head. The fiend crumpled to the ground and she ran over to the door without looking back.

Adrenaline rushing through her she pressed her hand to the electronic padlock and overloaded the circuit. The door unlocked without a fight. She closed it behind her and then rushed down the long white hallway.

As Zelda ran, the lights, security cameras, sensors, and anything else that had power in them were sucked dry. They flickered out one by one as she passed, and with each step she took she felt herself get stronger.

When she hit a door that wouldn't budge she blew it open with an explosion of fiery energy and continued running.

She didn't know where the exit was... didn't even know if she was running in the right direction. The people who passed, no matter how armed, never stopped her. They couldn't even see her.

As she ran, she did think of one possibility of finding a way out....

With the amount of energy she was absorbing, she could... no, she would.

She ran down a few more halls, stealing all the energy she could before she hit another locked door. When she faced it, she spread her hands and closed her eyes. This... is going to hurt, she thought as she channeled an enormous amount energy out of her in the form of a huge explosion.

She was right about the pain... but in the aftermath of it, she saw the sky. She ran through it without any hesitation, prepared even to jump to the surface. But she didn't have to; the hole in the wall just led outside.

Zelda fell back on the remaining wall she hadn't blown away, breathing heavily. The explosion was bound to draw everyone's attention... including her friends.

Invisible though she was, she knew she couldn't stay near the wall forever. Even if her friends were to come to the area they couldn't come close to the fortress.

She pushed off the wall and ran across the open plain and into the forest. I can always count on a forest, huh, she thought with a small amount of amusement. She could always keep her humor... After all, it was her defense mechanism.

She waited by one of the trees, her mind racing, her breath coming out in shaking bursts, her feet lifting from the ground.

Wait, what? Zelda scrambled to grab one of the branches of the tree as she floated past it, and held on as her body continued upwards, frantically trying to turn whatever the heck power it was off.

Control over gravity, she remembered Invee saying. Then she saw them, her friends, and she tried still to relinquish the control.

"Link, fairies, over here!" she called urgently, holding tight to the only thing stopping her from drifting past the treetops.

The three of them stopped and looked. Link was the first to start running towards her voice.

As soon as they were close to her she flashed visible. "Help me," she squeaked, her arms and legs wrapped around the branch like a cat stuck in a tree.

Link's eyes widened, and he quickly reached up and grabbed her ash smeared arm to pull her back down to earth.

As he did, her pleading with the power suddenly worked and she fell heavily on top of him. Never had she been happier to fall.

Link sat up and wrapped his arms around her soot covered shoulders. "Thank the goddesses you're alright."

Zelda's arms leaped around him and she squeezed tightly, burying her face in his neck. I'm... alright.

"Control over gravity," Invee said, interrupting their moment. "And control over fire. You said you got transcendence?"

Zelda looked Link in the eyes for another few moments and then switched her gaze to Invee. "I said I think I got it... I'm not sure... But I couldn't stay there any longer regardless. I got... hurt."

"You what?" Link started.

"We've gotta go," Lark interrupted as he scanned the sky over the fortress.

Link stood up and pulled Zelda after him. As he took a closer look at her, his eyes went dark.

Her clothing was ragged and burned, her whole body covered in the ash from the fire pit and the walls she'd blown up, and her knee still had blood on it.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his voice deceptively leveled.

She pressed her lips together. No... I'm not, she thought, but she nodded curtly. "I will be." She slipped her hand into his and squeezed tightly. "I can't... not be... we have to move quickly."

The way that he looked at her... The way his eyes were hard, but soft at the same time... he knew what she was feeling. Knew she hadn't gone through it all without trauma to her mind... or her body. "Understood..." he said as he took her into his arms, kissed her quickly, then phased his wings and jumped into the air.