A Trip To The Lake (5)

She tried her best to forget about what she'd heard the evening before, but it had still dominated her mind as she had tried to go to sleep, and that morning as she was getting ready. She didn't know anything about what they had been talking about, but it made her very uncomfortable that they were sneaking about and secretly arguing with each other...

It seemed that Link knew her father rather well; to be talking to him in such a way.

Zelda sat behind the kitchen counter, setting her backpack on the floor next to her feet. "Good morning," she greeted her father.

"Morning," he replied as he turned around. "Ready for today?"

"So ready," she smiled. She was ready to go swimming so she could drown her confusion in the physical and scenic joy of the exercise.

He gave her a cheery smile and plopped a pancake onto a plate in front of her. "I see you've gotten used to having Link around."

Zelda shrugged, "Well he's not... terrible," she said.

He tilted his head to the side slightly. "Not terrible? It looked to me that you were getting along."

"Beating each other with sticks doesn't quite constitute 'getting along,' to me."

"Link agreed to teach you, and you apologized for making him bleed. I'd say you're bonding," he chuckled.

Zelda frowned at his first words. "Was him agreeing to teach me really so unusual?"

"The way I hear it, he doesn't play well with others. He wouldn't teach just anyone swordplay."

Zelda frowned, really? I didn't really think about that being a possibility. "Then..."

"Then what?"

She glanced towards the back door as she heard Link's voice, but she didn't respond.

"Are you done?" her father asked.

"Done with what?" Zelda inquired curiously.

"I was taking out the trash. Yes, I'm done."

"All packed?"

"All packed."

"Want some breakfast?" Zelda asked.

Link shrugged as he glanced over at the pancakes. "I guess," he said as he sat down on the stool beside her.

Kaebora gave him a plate and he started to eat.

Zelda turned her attention back to her own half-eaten breakfast.

"So, what would you two like to do first when you arrive?"

"I want to go swimming," Zelda replied excitedly.

"I don't know," Link replied. "Never been there."

Zelda glanced over at him and frowned. "You've never been to Lake Tirine?" she asked, though it wasn't surprising, as it was an unknown day trip destination.

"I don't usually go on trips. Let alone to random lakes."

She shook her head. How was he still sane if they never ever did anything? "Well it's a beautiful place, you'll have to like it."

---

The car ride to Lake Tirine was about a two-hour drive, leaving quite a lot of time for awkward sitting.

Zelda sat in the back of the car while Link rode shotgun beside her father. There hadn't been much conversation between any of them, and so the two hours were spent listening to music and admiring the views outside the window.