Endurance (41)

"You broke my knife..." Mye said with a pout in her lip, then threw it at Zelda's head.

She didn't move, only stared at Mye as the handle struck her on the cheek. "Well, maybe you should find one of a better quality."

"That was already of the best quality."

"Too bad for you then."

"Nah, it's too bad for you, actually," Mye said as she stoked the fire in the middle of the room with a metal rod.

Zelda watched the movement of the coals, unable to keep herself from staring. Today's 'warm up' was already worse than the day before's actual experiment.

Mye had tried to poison her, but nothing had happened to her at all. Not even a tummy ache.

"Are you starting to get worried, little stone?"

"Of course not. How long have we known each other? You should be able to tell by now."

Mye drew the thick rod out of the fire and then pointed the glowing end at Zelda's face. "Funny," she said, her voice totally devoid of humor. "Do you think your eyes are as indestructible as the rest of you?"

Zelda yearned to absorb the energy right out of its flaming tip or blow the fire from the fireplace into Mye's face. But she wasn't going to show any of her powers. She wouldn't break; the woman's threats had done nothing to her, even when carried out.

"Why don't you try it and see?" she said as she spat on the rod.

It sizzled and smoked, and Mye looked disgusted. The rod swung through the air and hit her on the knee with a jarring thud.

She closed her eyes and focused on breathing. The other knee was hit. Then again. On the fourth hit, a stab to her chest, she bit her tongue.

That one had hurt.

Or so she thought... Maybe it was the illusion of pain, like when she had been a child.

Either way, Mye wasn't even aware of it, and she never would be.

---

Sleep did not come easy in that white room. The room itself, which had been pristine when she had first woken up, was now partially destroyed. Her body smacking into the walls, ceiling, and floor had done more damage to the room than to her.

Zelda had no idea how long she had been in that place... whether it had been just a few days or a week, she didn't know. All she knew was that she couldn't hold up against it much longer. She had started to feel the pain of it all, not exactly physically, but mentally... and she didn't know how to handle much more of it.

Mye was trying to kill her. That's all there was to it, and she would keep trying... and trying, until she succeeded in doing so.

Her only comfort in that place was knowing she was there for a reason; she had allowed herself to be trapped. She just needed transcendence, and then she could be gone. Then she could fight back.

There was one other comfort, however... her memories of Link, and the time they had shared... and would share in the future.

The future. Their future.

The future she couldn't give up on.

She thought of his voice, and how it tried to comfort her. His actions, and how they declared that he would fight for her. Of his hands, and how they had touched hers... his lips, and how they felt against her own...

---

Zelda screamed; she couldn't stop herself.

"Oh, did that hurt?" Mye said with interest. "Good." She bent and wrote something on the table. "Electricity; such a promising option... We'll have to further explore this later."

The light flickered above her as her control over her power wavered. Her skin felt as hot as the embers she'd felt against her skin the day before. This new heat burned in a way she had never felt anything before... And it was a heat she couldn't control. The lightning came from stone sitting by her chair, spitting out bolts of electricity that struck her and left her breathless.

"I'm just frustrated. You know, losing my mind-" She gasped as she got hit again. Zelda tried to keep in the groan, but it slipped through anyway. "...The least you could do is give me a poster or something," she said, trying to go back to a level voice.

Mye smiled. "Your lies don't fool me, stone, you're mine, and I'll kill you soon. Bet on that," she said as she took her notepad and left the room, the lightning still raging.

Zelda let out a shaky breath and stretched her stiff neck. Then another bolt hit her and her whole body clenched again.

I'm not yours, you ignorant wretch... she thought in response to Mye's declaration. You don't have me where you want me, I'm right where I need to be.

---

"You are by far the hardest bug to ever be crushed by me."

"Well, honestly I'm not sure you can crush me."

"Oh, we'll see..." she replied as she held her hand to her face in thought. An evil grin spread across her horribly perfect face. "Oh, here's an idea..." she said as she leaned towards her, her hands resting on the arms of Zelda's chair. "How about I tell you about your father?"

Zelda's eyes narrowed. My father?... is she talking about Kaebora?

"He was like me. A researcher," Mye began.

Zelda shook her head sharply. "He was nothing like you."

She laughed. "I suppose that's true...he never did approve of my way of experimenting. He preferred test tubes and scientific equipment... the strange man." She tapped a finger against her lips. "But that's not what I wanted to talk about... I just wanted to let you know that you're responsible for your father's death."