Adjusting (29)

Zelda set one of the glasses in front of him and then sat down. "You're welcome."

"This is still so... weird," he said.

"I know," she replied but wasted no time in digging into her food. "But this will be home for awhile... And I've got to say, I'm quite excited. Especially to explore more when it's light outside."

"We're in a forest, which is good. It'll keep us hidden from any air searches." He paused. "Well, at least more hidden than it would be if we were out on a rock with nothing else around."

"I'm still getting used to this whole... thing."

"What thing?" he asked.

"Tactical positioning, worrying about getting captured... stuff like that."

"It's my way of life," he said. "I'm still getting used to yours." He picked up his sandwich. "Living in large houses with only a few others. Spending your time and money on things that make life fun, not things that are useful to survive... What's the point?"

"The point?" she asked, setting her sandwich down. "You're asking me the point of life?"

"I guess I am..."

She bit her lip. "The point is to live, I suppose. To experience new things, to enjoy the life we're given. To help others who weren't given a life filled with as much fortune as our own..." She frowned. "Remember the question you asked me on the swings?"

"What do you think of life?"

"Yeah, we both had our own opinion on it. You said that life should be protected, and I said something about learning from interactions with others, even people you don't like; and that those lives still mattered. What is the point of living when you have nothing to live for? When all you do is survive?"

"That's all I know," he replied.

Zelda looked down at her plate of food and then pushed it aside. "What's driving you now? What makes you wake up in the morning, what motivates you to fight?"

Link leaned forward on the table, his head resting on his hands. "I don't know..." he said softly.

"You know; you have to know," she said.

He shook his head. "I've only just begun to think for myself..." he said, "I've always had an authority tell me what was right, what was wrong... what my purpose was."

"You decide that now. You betrayed the Guard, your fate is up to you now. Why are you here right now?"

He lowered one hand to the table and stared blankly at it. "I served Hyrule my entire life. It was my life. When I learned for myself that your true nature was nothing like they told me to believe, it was the first time I questioned them. I thought for myself and made my own decision." His other hand dropped. "I'd never done that before."

"A good knight is practically a robot then," she muttered.

He nodded, then picked up the sandwich and took another bite, not looking up.

---

The next morning Zelda woke to a clear beam of sunlight cutting through the window. She grimaced as she opened her eyes and was temporarily blinded.

Eventually, she trailed out onto the back deck of the cabin and leaned against the rail as she worked to wake herself up the rest of the way.

"How'd you sleep?" Link asked as he passed through the back door.

"Fine." She closed her eyes as she took in the forest around them with her other senses. The chirping of the birdsong, the fresh smell, the feeling of the rough railing in her hands. "You?"

He didn't respond but leaned against the railing beside her. "I heard you last night... I know you didn't sleep fine."

She opened her eyes and looked over at him. "...you did?"

He nodded. "You were screaming at one point... I thought it would be better to not barge into the room..."

Lowering her head, her fingers tightened around the wood.

"I understand if you don't want to talk about it..."

"It was just a nightmare," she replied, looking up at the trees. "I'm sorry if I woke you."

He shook his head. "Don't worry about it."

When Zelda looked over at him she noticed the concern on his face and she waved a hand. "I'm fine now, dreams only have so much power." She feigned a smile and then looked back to the trees.

"Shall we make breakfast then?" he asked.

"Do you remember how to make pancakes?"

"Yeah I think so," he said.

"Would you make them while I take a shower?"

"Sure," he said, trailing back inside and into the kitchen.

Zelda hesitated out by the rail and then shook her head. Dreams only have so much power... she repeated in her head. No matter what they show... As horrible as it is to replay the deaths over and over again, I can't let it get to me. Her eyes started to water as her cruel mind flashed back again before she could shove it away and focus on happy memories.

I can't let it get to me.