Archery (7)

Zelda rummaged through the closet for her weapon; she hadn't used it for awhile, and wasn't sure where she had put it.

As she was looking, she considered her talk with Link. It was interesting to her how just a few days had started to completely change her view of him. She still didn't know how to think about the hushed conversation she had overheard, and some part of her still wanted to dislike him...

But as he became less and less of a stranger, she found herself actually enjoying his company. After all... She had nothing else to do at this point until her electronics got fixed. And of course now that she actually liked having him around, he had to leave the next night. The universe was quite unfair.

As she considered that Link was leaving, she reached under her bed and grabbed the metal frame. "Found it!" she said excitedly as she took hold of her quiver as well and then bounded down the stairs.

Link's eyes widened as Zelda came out of the house. "That's a bow?"

"Yeah, you've never seen one like this before?"

"No. What the heck is that?" he asked.

"It's called a compound bow."

"Why?"

Zelda shrugged. "It's just a bow. What's so weird about it?"

"Oh, just the fact that it doesn't look like a bow anymore," he said.

She rolled her eyes. "Well, whatever. Want to see how it works?"

"Sure."

"Do you answer everything with 'sure'?"

"Sure. Do you answer everything with 'fine'?"

"No," she replied. "Anyways, here," she said as she demonstrated using the compound bow.

After Zelda showed off and hit the bullseye several times in a row, she showed Link how to operate that strange piece of machinery.

He was horrible at it but eventually managed to hit the target.

"Good job," she said with a smile.

"Hey, Zelda?" he asked as he lowered the bow.

"Yeah?" she replied as she tilted her head to the side.

He fiddled with the bow's string as he glanced down. "When I was asking you those questions a few days ago... and I asked about Hyrule..."

"I remember," she said.

"I actually meant the question," he glanced up at her. "I wasn't trying to mock you or Kaebora."

Zelda's eyes widened and her stomach knotted slightly. "Oh..." she replied, "I... thought you were."

"I figured that out for myself."

"I'm sorry... Just, the way you asked, and the fact that next to nobody actually believes in it anymore..."

"I just wanted you to know," he said as he set the bow against the swing set.

Is he not going to ask the question for real? "No problem... All resolved," she bit her lip.

There was an awkward silence hanging in the air.

"Hey, I never got to teaching you that card game."

He shook his head in acknowledgment.

"Want to learn it now?" she asked.

"Sure."

---

Zelda glanced up from her cards and looked at Link. He was concentrating on the hand of cards in front of him.