Reminder (37)

Zelda was still smiling, even after hours of just laying in her bed. She stared out the window at the faint light of the cabin's front porch.

Thinking of all the times when she was a kid that she had fantasized about falling in love... it left her in a strange state of happiness and shock. It all seemed to have happened so quickly... and she was still struggling to process in her brain exactly how it all had happened.

She went from despising the visiting boy to thinking he was the craziest human on the planet. To find out he wasn't even a human to begin with. Then learning he was part of the Guard, the ones who were trying to capture her, and then... waiting for him to find her on the surface, where they traveled together. Where they settled down to wait... where their relationship somehow... happened.

What the heck...

How the heck...

Zelda's fingers ran over her lips, back and forth, as she tried to wrap her mind around the past few days. I can't believe this is happening... If anyone told me a month ago that I'd be falling in love with- she rolled over and pressed her face into the pillow.

She felt like screaming... like she could get everything out if she could just raise her voice and yell for a good eternity.

As if she hoped it could help her process.

Zelda wished she had wings to able to just soar... dive... fly as fast as she could. That the wind could buffet her face and blow away every single thought from her mind, only to focus upon the thrill of the flight itself.

For that freedom, she was seriously in want of Link's ability to fly.

Oh goddess, how did this all happen...

But... she was happy.

She was happy for the first time since her father had died. Since her life took a turn for the worst.

Zelda stared at the ceiling and sighed, closing her eyes once more.

_-:-_

With a blow to the head she fell off balance and stumbled a bit, but Link caught her before she hit the ground. "You didn't feel that right?" he asked quickly.

"Still nothing but a little pressure," she replied.

"Good," he said, his eyes half closed with guilt as he looked down at her still clutched in his arms.

"I told you, it's fine," she said with a wave of her hand before it rested on the side of his face.

"Are all of our sparring matches going to end like this?" he asked with a smirk.

"Goddess, I hope so," she replied before pulling him down.

He kissed her once before frowning. "There are more important things to be focusing on."

She started laughing. "I know, I know, I just wanted to say it. I was joking... mostly."

He rolled his eyes and placed a kiss on her cheek. "Alright, back to practice." He reluctantly let her go. And she knew it was reluctant because his hands lingered on her sides for just a few moments longer, even as he was stepping back. "And this time duck if a sword is coming at your head."

Zelda nodded and got herself into the ready position. She didn't get a sword, so it was all about dodging an opponent that was faster than her. Which was really hard.

Link moved in, his sword reflecting the falling sun as he slashed it in an arc towards her.

She ducked underneath it and took the opening provided to grab his wrist and steal the sword. Except she couldn't get it out of his deadlocked grip. Oh well, it had been worth the try.