Fall (22)

A dull thrum reverberated through the air, and it resonated within her body. Zelda opened her eyes as she heard a loud noise that sounded like a train. It faded into the distance along with the rumbling.

A dull ache echoed throughout her entire body; but that was just her imagination talking to her. Sitting up, Zelda examined her surroundings. Above her was a jagged hole in a ceiling. Looking around, all she saw were crates.

Her mind jumped back to the last thing she remembered. Tel letting her go; a run through the forest, getting found by the guard... and then Link.

Link had been there. He had... did he kill that man? She found it hard to imagine that anyone would survive after being javelined in the back with a sword. The only other time she had seen that much blood was after the accident in the lab. What did his action mean?

She's mine.

Zelda shivered slightly as she remembered how he had said those words. Those words that she had used to figure out who was under the helmet before he had taken it off...

Had she really fallen off of the island? How stupid was she to step back when she knew she was on the edge... She had been distracted, but still...

The realization that she had fallen from the sky hit her as hard as she had probably hit the ground. Her eyes flicked back to the hole in the ceiling. I did that, she thought.

She sat up, struggling free of the crater her body had made upon impact with the ground. If she hadn't been unconscious from the fall, she certainly had been knocked out by hitting the ground. She didn't remember hitting the surface, but there was no denying that she had; and hard.

I'm safe here for now... but if I fell straight down they're bound to find me eventually, even if they can't flat out hunt me like birds without the people of Starfall seeing them. I don't know if that will stop them though... she shakily got to her feet and looked down at the impression of her body. It was like she had made an incomplete concrete angel. That's going to give someone a heart attack, she thought with slight amusement.

Zelda glanced to the side, and she noticed the smashed remains of the pack that Tel had given to her.

Tel... I wonder if you're still... she started to think, and then shook it off. Tel did what she wanted to do, and she couldn't let that haunt her.

Kneeling by what was left of the pack, she rummaged through it. The blanket was still relatively untouched, but there was some smashed food on it. She took it and folded it in her arms, then tried to find the door to the room. She then hesitated as she looked around at all the boxes. There could be something in them that could help her... That'd be stealing... she thought guiltily.

It's life or death, she rationalized. Turning back, she tried to think of a way to open them. Her eyes flicked around, and she saw a crowbar hanging from the wall. That'll do.

Several minutes later, and Zelda had almost removed one of the box lids. They were secured rather tightly. With a final jerk of the bar, the lid squeaked to the side. "Oh... that's...not good," she muttered under her breath. The box was filled to the brim... with guns.

With great trepidation, she moved onto the next box. It was filled with some kind of ammo. Probably for the guns. "What did I fall into?" she asked aloud, unable to stop herself from wondering if her indestructibility could withstand a bullet.

She moved to the other side of the room and opened a box there. "What?" she asked incredulously. The box was filled with school bags in a variety of colors and fandoms. Is this some sort of smuggling thing? She reached inside and took a plain black bag. Opening it made her mouth drop.

Inside were neat stacks of cash, laid out to match the shape of the bag. She dropped it and took a step back.

Gang stash? she wondered.

She stared at the box for a moment, then returned to the crate and grabbed a bag that was bigger, a satchel, and then opened another bag. "Somehow you're going to get killed for this..." she said, and then emptied that bag into the satchel. She grabbed another bag, a backpack, and put the satchel inside.

She walked over to the weapons crate and looked down at them. Zelda had no idea even how to use a gun... Others wouldn't know that, she thought, reaching out to take one, but before she could take it she heard a sharp sound of a door unlocking.

Holding back a word that her father would scold her for using, she ran to the door and hung the backpack around her shoulders. She held the blanket in her hands and waited. The door opened, and she didn't even wait to see the person before she threw the blanket over their head and then ran out the door.

She saw several garage like structures scattered on a dusty shelf of land. To the right was a train track, and to the left was a river. She ran towards the tracks, hearing swearing from behind her.

Though her body started screaming for her to stop, she didn't, she kept going until she was past the train tracks and towards the town in the distance.

Zelda heard a gunshot and then another, and another, and then she was on the ground. A place on the back of her leg stung like a knife went through her.

Then the pain was gone, and she stood up and started to run again.

She reached the town and dived behind a building. Panting, she drew her leg to where she could see it. A hole had been ripped in her pants, and her skin was slightly dimpled. "That would have really hurt," she said, leaning back against the building.

Of all the places to fall, she had somehow managed to break through the roof of a gang garage? Or something of that sort?

Who had guns, ammo, and a crate full of bags filled with money? It was crazy. Everything was crazy.

She'd grabbed enough money to keep her afloat... forever... But what was she supposed to do? Run away her whole life?

Once she had regained her breath she stood up and looked around. The town was somewhere she could stay; for now.

She stepped around the building and entered the street.

Zelda knew she couldn't stay for long, as she had no idea if they would be able to track her fall or not. Link was the only one who had seen her fall though... wasn't he? If she stayed in the town, there was a chance that he could find her... But did she want him to?

She checked herself into a hotel for the night and left most of her things under the bed. She took a stack of cash, and the satchel, and went shopping for the things she needed; clothes, food, maybe a movie to clear her head.

She had decided to stay, at least for one night. Only time would tell if she was being foolish for even hoping anymore.