Nothing (13)

Zelda watched night fall around the hotel from a chair by the window.

She never really considered breaking her word to Link that she would stay. Like she had told him; where would she go?

She had nothing now.

She had felt the ground shake a few more times throughout the day, and thoughts of rocks falling from the sky to crash through the roof helped her pass the time.

She turned on the news, but there was no mention of anything odd happening anywhere. One thing it did tell her was that she was cities away from her hometown.

That made her wonder just how Link had gotten them to the forest in the first place.

With him still gone, she figured she would take a shower and then try to get comfortable in the hard motel bed for the night.

As she laid back against the uncomfortable pillow she stared at the ceiling. Was this really how her life was going? Or could it be a vivid dream?

As much as she wished that to be true... She knew that it wasn't.

She knew her life would never be the same.

Not without her home.

Not without her father.

How the heck am I supposed to react to all of this crap? Dad died... He's... This all doesn't make any sense...stupid Link doesn't explain; in fact, I'm not sure he's helping me at all. He asks me to trust him, but I don't have any reason to.

My world went from mundane to the world my father insisted was real. The one my father was so determined to find and prove...

Link.... he... had a sword. It just appeared out of nowhere. Was it magic?

What is he?

Where is he from?

Zelda opened her eyes and looked up from her bed.

A small light was blinking above her.

As she tried to focus on it, it winked out of existence. She stood up and looked around. There was the same color of yellow light coming from the window.

The door swung open.

There was no sign of who had opened it.

The ball of light flickered.

Her feet moved on their own and she left the room behind. She felt no apprehension.

It led her into the forest. As she followed, she tried to see within the light but had no luck.

It stopped in the center of a clearing, and there were several more of the lights, flickering in different colors, hovering above the ground. The darkness didn't stand a chance in that clearing.

"Greetings," a small voice said behind her.

She turned around to see the yellow light. "... Hello," she replied, confused

"You have questions?" the light asked.

"More than you could possibly answer."

"True," the light replied, and then its glow flicked from yellow to pink. "But I can answer a few of them."

"What are you?" she asked first.

"I am a fairy."

"Seriously?" Zelda asked incredulously.

"Why would you question that?"

"Because fairies don't exist?" she insisted.

"Just because you didn't know about us doesn't mean we haven't existed."

A fairy? Really? I mean, with how my days have been going, I shouldn't really be surprised anymore but... Seriously? This is weird. "Am I dreaming?" Zelda blurted.

The fairy turned from pink to yellow again. "Yes, you are."

"Wait, what?"

"Just because you're dreaming doesn't mean it's not real."

"That's exactly what it means!" she replied, her voice almost reaching a yell in her frustration.

"Well, that aside..." the fairy said with a small cough. "The reason you're out here is for us to introduce ourselves to you." She hesitated. "Well, really only me, as I am the one who will be with you."

"With me?"

"Yes, I am to be your fairy companion."

"... Why?"

"When someone is intertwined with the fate of our world, the fairies have the choice to bond with one, and guide them according to the word of the Goddesses."

Intertwined to the fate of our world? What?

"The... Goddesses... really," Zelda scoffed.

"Yes, really."

"This is ridiculous. I'm dreaming. This is all my imagination."

"You'll think differently soon."

"What? What are you saying? Do you know something that's going to happen to me?"

"I'm a figment of your imagination remember? How could I possibly know anything you don't?" The fairy said with a chuckle, and then the clearing went dark.

A bad feeling entered her chest, and she twirled around in circles until her eyes met with a hulking figure in the dark. Foreboding gripped her, and she tried to run, but her feet were stuck to the ground.

Zelda's eyes opened, and they flicked to the clock beside her. It read four in the morning. It hadn't felt like she was dreaming nearly that long...

She felt the same apprehension growing in her stomach, and she sat up and looked all around the room.

Link was still gone, but she felt the unnerving feeling of not being alone.

Her heart began to race as the ominous feeling only grew.

"Who's there?" she demanded, alarmed.

There was no response.