When It's Dark (36)

To make a long explanation short, after some lengthy experimentation with the lights she came to the conclusion that it was definitely her making them go out.

"Now to figure out how to control this before I have a very dark night..."

But when darkness fell over the cabin she still hadn't gotten it figured it out, which left her stumbling around without light. If she hadn't been indestructible she just might have died from the number of times she stubbed her toes on literally everything.

Her trial continued into the next morning, she tried and tried to turn the lights back on, but it... just didn't work.

While it was still light outside they had practiced again, Link with a real sword, and Zelda with no weapon at all.

By sunset, she was preparing herself for another night of being alone in the dark. She insisted upon not disturbing Link with her troubles, even when he maintained that he didn't mind.

They were sat on the couch playing cards as the last of the light faded outside.

"I guess I should get ready for bed now..." she said as they finished their game.

Link frowned. "It's not that late."

"But it's dark."

"Why don't I just light a fire?" he suggested.

"The candles didn't work, why should a fire?" she replied in a defeated voice.

He sighed. "Do you not understand that it's not an inconvenience? I want to be with you, even if it's dark."

You're just saying that... Zelda shook her head as she stood up, but he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down.

She landed in his lap. "Hey-"

"I'm telling you, I don't care," he repeated with a smile.

"It's dark, though, what are you supposed to do in the dark?"

"You don't need light to talk..." he said. "Or to... kiss..." he added softly.

She laughed. By the love of Nayru, he is too pure for this world, she thought. "Oh, I guess that's true" she replied, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Then... who am I to refuse?" she finished with a smirk.

His arms tightened around her and she tilted her head, lifting her chin.

As the last of the light from outside faded, he pulled her close.

Zelda had just enough time to catch her breath before his lips pressed against hers; his hands finding their place on her waist and neck.

It just felt... right. It felt like it was always meant to be. Like it was the reason she had never had that kind of a relationship with anyone else. Because how could she? Wasn't this feeling proof enough that she could find nothing better? That this was literally the best thing that could ever have happened? Especially since her life had taken a turn for the-

No, I don't have to think about any of that. I don't even want to think right now, she told herself as she tangled her fingers in his hair, shifting on his lap as she pulled him closer.

His hand at her waist slid up, and the trim of her shirt dragged up along with it. The cool air attacked her warm skin as it was exposed. She shivered, drawing back from him in the almost complete darkness, drawing in her breath.

Link's hand on her neck shifted, trailing his touch up to the edge of her jaw. As his fingers stroked, her chin lifted and she let out a soft 'hmm.'

"This doesn't seem real..." Link said.

"I know... I sometimes have to ask myself if I'm dreaming or not..."

His weight shifted on the couch as he leaned forward, kissing her on the very edge of her lips. "This is not a dream."

The way that he'd said that... By Din... "No... it's not..." she agreed, moving her own weight and pressing him into the back of the couch. As the last of the faint illumination disappeared from the cabin, she pressed her smile to his hardly visible smirk.

"This is better."