Complications (23)

Zelda stayed in the town for three days, and those days passed rather excitingly for her.

She'd had a few run-ins with what she assumed was some sort of Skyfall gang. She had even jumped out of a hotel window on the second day and ran halfway across town when they found her the first time. It seemed, however, that she couldn't hide very well... they just kept finding her.

Out of places to hide, she went to the park in the middle of the night and waited, watching for any movement from the sky. She felt, be it hopeful thinking, that Link was out there looking for her, and hoped she could see a sign of him. This was her last opportunity before she had to leave the town to escape for good.

Her night of waiting and watching did not go as planned, however, when she was yanked out of the playground by the foot and onto the ground. "Slippery girl, you won't be getting away from us this time."

Zelda kicked the man that was leaning over her, and he recoiled, holding his nose. She tried to stand up, but two others shoved her back down.

"You'll be giving back what's ours," he said, his voice muffled by his hand.

"I don't think it's yours to begin with," she said.

"Do you think I have the patience for you?" he spat as his foot connected with the side of her head.

She began to laugh, it was foolish but she couldn't help it. "You can't intimidate me," she said, though she was afraid of him.

He knelt over her again and narrowed his eyes. "Can't I?" he asked as he drew out his gun to press it against her head.

She swallowed and glanced at the sky. A shadow flashed past the moon in a quick dart, and her heart quickened further. "I'm not looking to get shot," she said and then quickly grabbed the gun. Her hands shook as she turned it towards the ground and then fired four consecutive shots. Those four shots almost rattled the gun out of her hand, and the noise made her want to clap her hands over her ears.

One of the cronies shot at her as soon as she'd taken the gun, but she only felt the pressure of the impact against her shoulder, not the pain. "But I am looking to attract a certain person's attention," she finished.

The gang man grabbed the gun back from her and was about to yell something when he stared at her shoulder, distracted. "You're not bleeding."

She smiled. "No."

He glared at her and grabbed her by the collar of her shirt. "How are you doing that?"

"You tell me," she said idly as she watched the sky. If she wanted to get out of there with the money she'd snatched, she needed...

"Don't get snide with me," he growled, his statement followed by a word Kaebora didn't approve of.

"I'M HERE," she screamed, then turned to the man, hit him on the head with the heavy satchel, hissed, "language," and then darted away with the bag clutched tightly in her hands.

There was the risk that the figure she'd seen flying through the sky wasn't Link. Zelda would do whatever she could to elude the grasp of Hyrule. And so she ran.

Another gunshot rang out, but it missed her; it wouldn't have done much to her anyways. She dove into the trees behind the park and waited, her heart pounding. The past few days flashed before her eyes again, but she tried to push it away as it was a distraction from the here and now.

Here and now, she was waiting for Link.

Why was she even doing that? Did she miss him? Care about him? He'd lied to her all the time she had known him and yet.... she stupidly wanted to trust him. She wanted to trust the man she'd gotten to know by playing cards with and beating each other with sticks. The man she's pushed into the water, and had fun with that day at the lake... The man who had comforted her after her father died. The man who had saved her the night of her fall by betraying his fellow Guard....

"Zelda!"

Zelda closed her eyes for a moment as her pulse quickened. That was his voice.

She glanced from behind the tree to see the source, and then she stepped out of its shadow. "Here," she called.

He banked and dived towards the ground; his wings reflecting the moonlight, as well as glowing independently of it. Link didn't slow down as he neared, but grabbed her around the waist and brought her into the air with him.

"Link!" she screamed in surprise.

"Shh," he warned, so softly that she wouldn't have been able to hear him over the wind if he hadn't spoken close to her ear. "I'm not the only one who got your signal."