Random/Deep (6)

Zelda slammed her fist down on the button with a growl. "This controller is broken!" she exclaimed.

Link looked up from his book in his preferred spot in the chair behind her. "Maybe because you keep hitting it?" he suggested.

"No, that usually helps!" she insisted, sitting on her knees on the carpeted floor.

"Try the other controller," he said.

"I already did."

He sighed. "Play a different console."

"I don't want to."

"Then why are you complaining to me?"

"I wasn't."

He looked confused. "You were complaining to the air?"

"I guess so; I don't know, I was just complaining aloud is all. I'm not used to other people being around to hear me."

He frowned. "You're strange."

A smile broke across her face. "So I've heard."

"It doesn't bother you when people say that?"

Zelda shrugged. "Not really. It's true," she said.

He hid a smile and shook his head.

She tilted her head to the side. "You're pretty strange yourself you know."

"Am I?"

"Yeah." She shrugged. "Amish people are really weird."

He scowled. "Just because they don't use technology, doesn't mean they're crazy. They just like their traditions."

"They? You said they, not we."

He frowned. "Did I?"

"Yeah, you did."

"Oops."

"Do you not consider yourself Amish?"

He hesitated for a moment and then shrugged. "I like technology, but you use it to the point where I kind of agree with their views."

Zelda shook her head. "What's wrong with finding entertainment from tech rather than a newspaper? A newspaper doesn't help my decision-making skills," she defended.

"It could..." He smirked. "And where are you going to use those skills if you never leave the house?"

Zelda frowned. "...On other video games?"

"What are you going to do after you graduate? What do you think you're going to do for a living? Play video games?"

Zelda looked down. "A living? I never really thought about it. Dad never talks about me leaving...I guess I always thought I'd just work with him."

Link bit his lip and then shrugged. "It's not my problem, do what you like," he said as he raised the book.

She turned back to the game and then put the console away and turned off the TV. "What am I gonna do now...." she muttered.

"How about we go outside?"

Zelda turned around and raised an eyebrow as she looked at him. "We?"

"Yeah, I'm bored of this book," he admitted.

Her lip twitched slightly into a smile. "Sure, I guess."

Link led the way out of the house, and over to the swing set.

Zelda sat down on the left swing and scuffed her feet against the ground. "So..." she said slowly, trying to think up something to say. "Do you do anything other than play with swords?"