Chapter Twenty

The hospital room was silent as Troy stared at Connor in shock. He saw Connor's lips move but his ears didn't register the words. Bethany gently touched Troy's arm and it shocked him out of his stupor.

"Yes Troy. I can hear you." Connor said softly and Troy swallowed thickly.

"So you heard everything I said when Aiyana and I were saying goodbye to you?" Troy asked and Connor nodded, a shy smile on his face.

"Yes I did." Connor said in almost a whisper and Troy sat down in the chair on the other side of the bed. He sat Aiyana down in his lap and used his free hand to hold Connor's, carefully avoiding the IV that was attached to his hand. Everyone sat in silence until Troy finally spoke up.

"So how did you regain your hearing?" Troy asked and Connor shrugged slightly.

"The doctors are still baffled by my sudden recovery as well. And they're also wondering how my stutter has disappeared as well." Connor said and Troy nodded slightly. There was a soft knock at the door and soon Dr. Moore, Connor's ear doctor, poked his head into the room.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything." Derek said and Harry shook his head, ushering for Derek to enter. He shut the door behind himself and stood at the edge of the bed, smiling at Connor. "How are you feeling?" he asked and Connor shrugged slightly.

"I feel like I got hit by a truck but other than that I feel fine, actually." Connor said and Derek chuckled softly.

"I'm glad to hear that you got your hearing back." Dr. Moore said and Connor nodded, a relieved look on his face.

"I was actually wondering about that. Do you know how he could've possibly gotten his hearing back? I mean we're all thankful for it but I'm just wondering." Louis said and Derek hesitated before he nodded.

"I believe that the blows to Connor's head were severe enough that the problem corrected itself. And the same goes for his stutter. I'm having the scans sent over to my office so I can go over them more thoroughly. I will warn you that there is a chance that this is temporary." The doctor warned and soon Connor's medical doctor walked in. As soon as Connor saw him, his jaw dropped open.

"Doctor Campbell?" Connor asked and the elderly man nodded, smiling slightly at Connor.

"It's good to see you awake. How are you feeling?" The man asked and Connor shrugged his shoulders slightly. Dr. Moore turned to Dr. Campbell and his eyes widened.

"Mike?" Derek asked and the doctor chuckled softly, nodding at him.

"It's good to see you, Derek. I'm glad you finally got your doctorate." Mike said and Harry looked at them in confusion.

"What are we missing?" Harry asked and Connor cleared his throat, making Harry and Louis look at him.

"Dr. Moore was the officer that stayed with me as you guys know and Dr. Campbell was the doctor that was in charge of my care when Simon shot me." Connor explained and Harry's jaw dropped, looking over at the two men who were conversing quietly. Harry couldn't believe that not only was Derek Moore the officer that stayed with Connor but that Dr. Campbell was there as well. He shook his head in disbelief and squeezed Louis' hand who was also sitting there in a state of shock.

"I'm going to talk with Dr. Moore in my office. I'll come back to check on you in about an hour." Dr. Campbell said and the two men left the hospital room. Everyone sat in silence as they stared at each other in shock. Harry was the first one to speak.

"I'm gonna give Tayler a call and have her bring Adaley here. Is that alright?" Harry asked and Connor nodded with a wide smile.

"I miss her." Connor said softly and Harry nodded, stepping out of the room with Louis in tow. Connor turned to Bethany and smiled widely at his best friend. "How's my Bethy?" he asked and Bethany giggled softly.