13

Judy and Nick held hands, walking into the ZPD. Benjamin didn't notice the scenery until they were several feet away. As he was about to take a bite of his delicious strawberry frosted donut, his jaw dropped. His eyes were glued to their hands, and his eyes shot up at Nick, then Judy, back at Nick.

"Oh...my god." Ben began. "No way. You're kidding!"

"What?" Nick grinned.

"You two are officially an item!" Ben squealed.

Nick nodded. Judy chuckled, not wanting too much attention being drawn to them.

"How does it feel to be the first odd couple?"

"Odd couple?" Judy repeated.

"Well yeah, I mean...you are a bunny, and he is a fox!"

Judy remained silent.

"Well, I'll speak for myself. I feel absolutely satisfied with Judy." Nick cheesed, Judy stunned by his response.

Ben glanced at Judy. He knew that she was impressed by Nick's response.

"How about you Ca-I mean, Judy?"

"I feel...exactly the same way. I'm pretty happy with Nick." Judy clung onto his arm, perky.

"Well, I hope you two are able to handle whatever obstacle comes your way!"

"Thanks. We appreciate that." The couple made their way to the conference room. Entering in, they sat at their designated seats.

Chief Bogo came in as everyone settled. "Greetings, ZPD. We have a former case on our hands. Apparently, there have been 10 incidents of mammals being in a dead state. They are alive, but they are not waking up. Families are worried because rather than it being predators that are targeted, it's prey. We need to find leads immediately, before these crimes get any worse." Chief Bogo handed Nick and Judy the case of Catherine Thump. Nick examined the file. "Catherine is a hare...she's been in a coma for about a week now..." He read aloud.

Judy peered at the information shocked. "That's terrible!"

Nick scrutinized the details. "Nothing seems to stand out besides the fact that she is not from around here..."

"Really? Can I see?" Nick handed Judy the papers. She had to agree. "That is strange..."

Taking on the case, Nick and Judy headed their ways to find out what was going on. Driving down the streets of Zootopia, Judy had turned on the radio. "The former mayor assistant of Mayor Lionheart has been released from prison today on May the 6th! Thousands are shocked by this change. Why was Ms. Bellweather's sentence cut short? The media does not know yet. Stay tuned."

Nick shook his head. "This city still needs training..."

Judy tapped her chin. "I guess she's different now."

"I doubt it." Nick replied.

"What if she's running in office for the ZPD again?"

"Let's not leave room for her existence in the ZPD, please Judy." Nick pleaded.

"What? I'm just saying what if."

"And what if's always leads to it happening."

Judy grinned. "Right." Judy skimmed through the files. "So anyways...the last time Catherine has been seen, it was by Animal Shack."

"You mean the technology store for gadgets and nerds?" Nick smirked.

"Don't act as though you aren't a nerd too." Judy laughed.

Nick rolled his eyes, speeding to the store.

The duo asked some of the employees and manager about when was the last time they have seen Catherine. All the answers were the same. She was within the market, shopping, and they saw something fast move, and before they knew it, the hare was already on the floor.

Judy and Nick glanced at each other in worry. "Maybe we should go and visit the hare or her family."

"Yeah...the address is on the file. Let's go." Nick went ahead.

Judy wanted to hold Nick's hand as they departed, but he turned away quickly, walking off. She felt terribly awkward, hoping no one noticed her failure. She followed behind Nick quickly into the police vehicle and drove to the residence.

Arriving at the Thumps residence, Nick parked the car in front of the house. Nick glanced at Judy, noticing she was fairly distant. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Huh?" Judy snapped out of her trance. "Yeah, I am!" The bunny hopped out of the vehicle, marching over to the door. Nick caught up as the door slowly opened.

"W-Who is it...?"

"We're the police, ma'am. Please open up! We just wanna talk about the case with Catherine Thump."

"She's not here...she's at the hospital."

"Hospital...?" Judy mumbled.

"A-And we know that, we just want to discuss with her family about the incident so that we can help her in any way possible."

"...okay." The woman closed the door, unlocking the chains on the door.

Judy nudged Nick with a smirk. "The sly fox once again outsmarted the numbers."

Nick returned the look. "Thanks."

After talking to the woman, who was apparently the mother and the rest of the family for some time, Judy and Nick took their leave.

(I honestly do not want to focus on the cases but mostly on Judy and Nick...so please, bear with me if any of you readers were hoping I'd focus on a case specifically).

From the time work was over, Nick noticed how distant Judy was from him. They took off from work, walking to the car. Nick didn't know what to say to her to break the silence. Nick drove to Judy's apartment, taking her inside. Judy opens the door, waving goodbye to Nick.

"Wait." Nick prevented her from fully closing the door.

"What happened?" Judy looked up at Nick in shock.

"I'd like to stay for a couple of minutes."

Judy blinked, pondering for a couple of seconds.

"Please?"

Judy steps away from the door. "Sure." Nick closed the door behind him. He went and sat on the couch. Judy brought in two mango smoothies.

"Thanks." Nick took one in hand.

"Mhm." Judy sat down, taking a sip through her straw.

"So...what's up with you?" Nick sipped his smoothie.

"What do you mean?"

"N-Never mind...let's watch a film?"

"This late at night? No thank you!"

"Oh, just so that we can spend time together, at least!"

Judy groaned, taking the remote, and plopped onto the couch. She turned on the TV.

"Can I choose the channel?"

"Sure."

Nick began to surf the guide. After choosing a movie, he leaned back and sighed with satisfaction.

Judy glared at him, but tried to smile. She knew Nick was working hard and just wanted everything to be for the best. But she still felt a bit upset that Nick didn't notice Judy's attempt to be lovey with him at first glance. She pouted, folding her arms and stared down the TV.

Nick looked over to Judy, patting the seat next to him. "Come over here, Judy, there's no need for you to be so distant!"

Judy's lips opened a little. She didn't necessarily expect Nick to call her over. She gladly stood up and sat next to him.

Nick reached for her paw and mixed his fingers with hers. Judy was now happy.