28

"So what happened?" Judy asked, slurping her smoothie. Nick sat next to her eyeing Angel with interest.

"Well, Benjamin had to escort your parents to leave, but it wasn't easy. They were seriously persistent in getting you to come back with them. But I told them that you refused and they must respect that decision." She explained.

Judy stared in awe at her explanation. Who knew that Judy's parents were that strong-willed in having their daughter give up on Nick?

Angel sipped her frappe and sighed. "It really sucks to have parents who don't support you. Really makes you feel lonely sometimes."

"Yeah..." Judy muttered and stared at the table.

Nick glanced at her, and pulled her closer around her shoulder. "Cheer up Carrot; you have me, don't you?" He smiled reassuringly.

Judy giggled. "Well that's true. I do have you."

"Exactly, so stop worrying. If your parents reject you then oh well. I won't reject you."

Angel smiled ear-to-ear. They were indeed a sweet couple to watch. But Angel felt terribly awkward, like as if she was the third wheel.

With a kiss to the forehead, Judy squealed and playfully shoved Nick. "Not in public!"

"You're right. I forgot."

Judy cleared her throat, facing Angel again. Nick casually relaxed his arm around her and grinned at Angel.

"Well anyways," Judy took deep breath. "I'd like to thank for you all that you've done for us that day."

"Don't sweat it partner, anything for a friend." Angel winked, tilting her straw hat.

Stunned by those words, Judy's eyes widened with appreciation. "Friendship..." She mumbled.

Angel began to take her leave. "Well, I guess I'll leave you two lovebirds at it."

"What? You don't have to go so soon!" Judy pleaded.

"Oh no, it's almost time for me to start my shift heh..."

"Oh yeah..."

"I'll catch ya'll later." Angel picked up her belongings on the bench next to her and began sliding out of the stall.

Nick sighs, eyeing his watch. "Yeah I gotta hit the shower too..."

"What? Not you too..." Judy cried.

"I gotta go and visit my mother today...it's been a couple of years so..."

Hearing that, Judy became infuriated and stepped on his leg.

"Ow!"

"And you didn't tell me?!"

"I'm sorry! I never told you about my mom and it never came across me to tell you!"

"Are you kidding me, Nick?!" Judy groaned. "How long did you know about this?!"

"For about uh..." Nick lowered his head in shame. "...a month."

Judy shook her head and dropped her ears.

"Please don't be mad. It wouldn't be best if you came anyway."

The hurt in Judy's eyes manifested. Nick waved his hands around like crazy, trying to enlighten himself. "W-What I mean is that she isn't too fond of prey coming into the household because she fears that someone is going to think she's going to eat them."

"Oh, so I just look like prey to you?" Judy deadpanned.

"No." Nick assured. "Look, I know this is a last minute thing and I know that you're really mad, but I promise you I didn't avoid telling you for a bad reason."

"Then what's the problem?"

"It's just that...this visit---it's more of a personal mother and son appointment. We need the privacy right now..."

"Oh." Judy lightened up a bit with a sympathetic smile. "Okay, I understand. Go ahead."

"Thank you, my love." Nick reached for Judy's lips and made contact.

A hippo couple was passing by and grimaced at the sight. "Ugh, is that a rabbit and a fox making out?"

"Such disgusting creatures..."

Flabbergasted by the audience they generated, Judy pulled away and quitters at the thought.

"Well aren't they jealous?" Nick scoffed nudging his head in the direction of the hippos. He looked at Judy whose cheeks flushed tremendously, and she wouldn't give him the eye. "Judy? Are you ashamed?"

"No, it's just that I sort of forgotten myself...that's why I don't want to do these things in public."

"Ah, please. They're just mad. Who cares about what they think. That isn't what we think."

Judy tilted her head a bit, grabbing her mango smoothie. "Hmm...I guess you're right."

"Exactly, so relax." Nick ruffled her fur, and excused himself from the seat. "I'll go and pay at the counter. You can just give the waitress the tip."

"Huh." Judy questioned dumbfounded.

"Just kidding! I got this." Nick pulled out five bucks and tossed it onto the table. "Okay, let's go." Nick reached his hand out to Judy, holding his smoothie in the other. Judy stared in awe at his sudden invitation, and took her smoothie, grabbing his hand. They walked off together to the counter.

Judy peered out the glass walls of the restaurant, watching as a lot of couples were strolling pass. They all matched their species and seemed to be happy together. Judy's eyes twinkled, as she began to long for their emotions.

"K, I'm ready to go." Nick smiled down at her and began to guide her out.

Arriving on Judy's block, Nick gave her a departing kiss on the lips and petted her.

"Must you pet me like as if I'm going to be eaten?" Judy smirked.

"Well, if you insist, we can always find that out when I return home." Nick winked.

Judy punched him in the stomach. Nick quickly blocked her attack and guffawed. "Easy there, fluff-butt. I need my stomach so that I can enjoy how delicious you are."

Judy swung another punch at him, this time, Nick didn't dodge and felt the impact in his arm.

"Ow!" He laughed so hard that pedestrians began to worry about who those troublemakers were.

"Stop being dirty!" Judy's cheeks were crimson, and Nick loved every minute of it.

"I'll be back at around 10 PM. Don't stay up too late waiting for me. By the time you wake up in the morning, I'll already be there in bed with you, sweetheart." He turned his back and waved goodbye.

Judy pouted, clenching her fists. "Oh I'll make sure I stay up and kick your ass you pervert."