29

Nick took a deep breath, knocking on the apartment door outside. He looked around with his hands entwined, rocking back and forth on the heel of his feet. Knocking once more, the door finally opened and he was invited in.

"Nicholas!" The older female fox embraced Nick with a passionate hug and kiss to the cheek.

 Nick hugged her warmly enough to feel the warmth of her fur flow through him.

"Mom..."

"Come in, come in!" Mrs. Wilde went ahead inside, leaving Nick to close the door.

The sentiments drew into Nick as he looked around to see that not much has changed since he left. 

"I see that you haven't really changed anything." He spoke conversationally.

"Yes...I really enjoy the way this home is set up." Mrs. Wilde sat at the kitchen table with a feast already prepared. "I've invited your cousin to come over, so make her feel welcomed okay?"

Nick arched an eyebrow. "Who?"

"You know, Your uncle's daughter, Carrie?" Mrs. Wilde answered, sipping her cup of raspberry tea.

Nick's eyes widened. "Carrie..."

"You haven't seen her in quite a number of years, so it's understandable that you don't remember who she is or how she looks."

 "I haven't spoken to her in about a month or so." Nick sighed ashamedly.

"Oh? So you both have been communicating?"

"Yeah, we have been. She's been like a big sister to me."

"That's good, that's good..." Mrs. Wilde smiled cheerfully."So, how about you? How are you doing?"

"I'm doing swell. Could be worst, but hey, I'm still getting by." She laughed.

Nick tried to laugh along, but the awkwardness just left him scratching the back of his head and he looked away.

"Did anything new happen for you?" Mrs. Wilde questioned intrigued.

Nick's mouth shook a bit, trying to force something out. "Oh! Uh...did you know that I became a cop?" Nick's mother sat, not fidgeting at all. "A cop...?"

Nick nodded. "Mhm."

Mrs. Wilde stood up, walking over to her son. "Nick..." "Y-Yes mom?"

"You are a miracle, my young boy."

 Nick's eyes began to swell with tears and we wiped them away quickly before they escaped. "Thanks, mom..."

 "Your father would be proud if he was here to see how far you've gotten---" 

 "---please don't mention him." Nick deadpanned.

Mrs. Wilde backed off a sympathetically. "I know you're still upset and him because he left us..." 

"No-he did more than just leaving---he took everything we had left to our name. That bastard..." 

Mrs. Wilde sighed, regretting the fact she even mentioned the male fox. "You're right, I understand." She exhaled. 

 The bell then rang, leaving the mother and son's head facing the door. "I'll get it."

 "No, I'll get it." Mrs. Wilde insisted that Nick go to his seat and wait. Hearing the door open, he figured it was Carrie who was at the door.

Mrs. Wilde was already returning and Carrie soon came in with an odd long drenched across her face. "Nick?" 

 "Hey Carrie." Nick smiled innocently.