Chapter 1-1

"So Charlie, how excited are you for the school dance?" squealed the pig-tailed girl as she and her friend made their way down the pathway from school.

"Posey, that's not for months!" frowned Charlie, though not without a chuckle at her bff's usual over-excitement.

"Yeah, but it's our first boy-girl dance! This is HUGE!" shouted Posey dramatically, waving a pom-pom in her face. "You need to start now if you want to meet a cute guy to be your date!"

"Right. Like I'll meet any cute guys this year..." Charlie sighed, brushing her pink hair behind her ear and glancing hopelessly around at her passing classmates.

Between keeping busy with cheerleading and the lack of anyone interesting, Charlie had never had any luck in the boy department.

"But maybe things will change this year," she thought as she and Posey rounded the corner.

"Charlie! Charlie!" a voice suddenly called out as soon as her house came into view.

Charlie looked up in surprise to see her parents hanging out the front door, her mother waving an envelope wildly in the air.

"What's going on?" asked Charlie, as she bewilderedly climbed the porch steps.

"You've been accepted into a big school in the city!" her mother exclaimed happily, nearly in tears.

"We're so proud of you!" beamed her dad.

Charlie knit her brows and reached for the letter.

"Olympus Academy?" she read. "Huh. I've never heard of it."

"It says it's very prestigious- a great opportunity!" said her dad.

"You'll love it!" cried her mom.

"Wait. You mean you actually want me to go???" Charlie gaped. "What about cheer?" she demanded.

"And what about the dance???" added Posey rather loudly.

"I absolutely cannot go," Charlie declared...

...but before she knew it, her bags were packed and she was on her way.

~~~

"I can't believe I'm transferring schools," Charlie thought as she watched her home shrink into the distance through the bus window. She closed her eyes, trying not to think about everything she was leaving behind. However, she couldn't help but think of Posey. "I really hope I can make some friends," she sighed.

When the bus finally arrived, Charlie climbed out onto the sidewalk and gazed up at the enormous, looming building. With its giant size being nearly twice as big as her old school, the academy was definitely intimidating!

Still too awestruck to move from the walkway, Charlie could only continue to look around. A group of uniform-clad students were laughing together on the lawn a few feet away, but they all seemed to be boys.

"Oh, I wish Posey was here with me," thought Charlie nervously.

Just then, to her relief, she spotted a couple of girls heading down the sidewalk in her direction.

"Excuse me!" she called, causing them to stop in their tracks. "Do you go here?"

"Yeah, right!" scoffed one of the girls and with that, the duo walked away, laughing up a storm.

Charlie frowned, wondering what was so funny and glanced around once again as another group of boys burst out the front doors.

"Where are the rest of the girls?" Charlie clutched her suitcase handle tightly, a knot forming in her stomach. Then, taking a deep breath, she pulled her shoulders back and took a step towards the doors. "Well, here goes nothing," she thought, making her way past yet another set of uniformed guys who were sitting upon the school's large granite sign .

However, what she failed to notice were the words that were carved into the stone:

OLYMPUS ACADEMY
SCHOOL FOR BOYS