Chapter 6-4

"Where are we going?" Charlie frowned as she and the others followed Pace out of the academy.

"He looks like he's heading straight for the woods," said Rib. "Maybe he's extra hungry tonight. Pace! Just take Apollo and Demeter! The rest of us don't taste good!"

"Hey!" Demeter smacked Rib and Apollo glared at him. Pace, however, ignored them all and continued to lead them over the lawn.

"Where are we actually going, though?" wondered Max as they crossed the darkening soccer field and headed through a small line of trees.

"The stadium???" Rib shouted when Pace finally came to a stop in front of a large coliseum.

Charlie's jaw dropped as she looked around. An enormous arena with a central green field, circling track and surrounding grandstands stretched out before them. The setting sun outlined the turrets of Juno Academy as they peered down from over more treetops in the distance.

"Why are we at the stadium?" asked Max.

"Yeah, what kind of contest are you planning?" Demeter looked at Pace suspiciously.

"One that I'll win," Pace smirked, grabbing a long pole and heading towards a mat on the far side of the field.

"Are you serious, Pace?" Rib gaped at him when they had met him across the field. "You're challenging Charlie to a high jump contest?"

"That is not fair at all," frowned Max. "That is your Olympic event. You are the best at it."

"Yeah! Even I think it's too much, and I was hoping she'd lose!" said Apollo.

"Hey!" Charlie pouted.

"Heh, heh! Sorry, Charlie! I really want that poster!" Apollo grinned.

"Come on, Pace. Pick something else," begged Rib. "You know Charlie has no chance!"

"She agreed to it," Pace shrugged, leaning smugly on the pole.

"Charlie, you don't have to do this," whispered Demeter.

"No. It's fine," said Charlie firmly, stepping up to Pace. "You're on."

"Good luck," grinned Pace evilly, placing the bar above the mat. "We'll start with something low. If you can't clear that, then there's no point in even going on."

"Okay," Charlie nodded, moving out of the way for Pace to make the first jump.

"Hey, maybe this will work better than our rec center plan," whispered Rib as they watched Pace get ready.

Backing up, Pace gave his long, slender body a stretch. Then, eyes on the pole, he began to run at full speed, springing into the air, and effortlessly flying over the bar.

"That's how it's done," he said arrogantly.

Charlie grimaced at him and took her place in front of the bar. After taking a small stretch as well, she sprinted towards the bar, jumping over it as easily as Pace.

"Like that?" she asked mockingly.

"Whoa! Nice job, Charlie!" Rib whooped and Max clapped.

"NOOO!" cried Apollo. "I want the poster!!!"

"Shut up!" Demeter covered his brother's mouth.

"Anyone could jump over it when it's that low," said Pace angrily. "Let's just get to the real contest," he added, raising the bar to an amazingly high position. "This is my record height," he told her, stepping back and preparing to jump.

"Ulp. That's really high," Charlie stared at the towering bar in horror.

"Don't feel bad. No one at Olympus has ever been able to beat it," Rib patted her on the back.

"Great. That makes me feel better," Charlie frowned.

Pace smirked and once again, soared over the bar, only mere centimeters away from hitting it. Looking accomplished, Pace clapped his hands together and proceeded to raise the bar again.

"So there it is," Pace grinned toothily. "If you can beat my record... you win."

"And when you don't, I get the poster!" Apollo reminded her.

"Apollo!" Demeter slugged his twin. "Good luck," he added to Charlie.

"You can do it!" Max cheered.

"Yeah! Show him!" shouted Rib.

Charlie took a deep breath and prepared to make her jump. Taking off, she raced towards the mat, leaping as high as she could- and sailing right over the bar!

"WHAT???" Rib screamed.

"NO WAY!!!" Demeter gasped.

"WAY TO GO!" called Max.

"BUT MY PRETTY POSTERRR!" Apollo bellowed.

"I can't believe you actually beat Pace!" Rib's jaw was on the ground.

 "Yeah! How did you do that???" demanded Demeter.

Charlie jumped up, doing a split in mid-air and touched her toes. "Say hello to The Encore Cheerleading Squad's Record-Holding Jumper!" she grinned.

"More like record-breaking!" Rib stuck out his tongue and Pace scoffed.

"Wow!" Apollo drooled. "Who needs a poster of a cheerleader when I have the real thing right here!"

"That was awesome, babe!" agreed Demeter.

"You are truly talented!" Max looked impressed.

"Yeah! You're even better than Pace!" Rib grinned, suddenly turning to look at him. "Hey! You said no one could do your event in the competition- but obviously Charlie can!"

"That's right!" Demeter gasped. "We could totally win if we entered with her on our team!"

"Not gonna happen," growled Pace, indignantly slinking back towards the Academy.

"I don't think he appreciated you beating him," Rib told Charlie. "But, hey! At least you get to keep your new stuff!"

"Yeah," Charlie chuckled wryly. "At least."

~~~

---AUTHOR NOTE---

I received some more fanart! 

So without further ado, here is Cheerleader Charlie by Akami Hale!

---AUTHOR NOTE---I received some more fanart! So without further ado, here is Cheerleader Charlie by Akami Hale!

Have a great week!

xox Ray