Chapter 13-4

"What a jerk!" Charlie was still groaning that night as she lay in one of the twins' bunks. "Ugh!" she rolled over. "He still has me so worked up and I can't even sleep. Oh! I know why!" Charlie suddenly sat upright. "Lilly! She's still in my room! With that jerk!"

Charlie narrowed her eyes and silently crept out of Apollo and Demeter's room and down the hall. Pausing outside of the next door, she listened intently.

"Please be asleep," she hoped strongly. Then, at last, she slowly cracked open the door and peered inside.

The room was dark, except for her nightlight, which was glowing proud and pink from the wall. A motionless lump on the top bunk proved that Pace was indeed in bed.

"Okay, good," Charlie sighed and cautiously stepped inside, moving carefully towards her bed. "Come on, Lilly," she whispered, grabbing her stuffed duck.

However, just then, a long, low moaning sound floated through the air.

"Ugh. Come on, Rib. Not that CD again," Charlie rolled her eyes, but then realized. "Wait a minute. Rib's not here."

As another moan came again, Charlie looked nervously around.

"What is that?" she shivered, but suddenly the wordless moaning transitioned into speech.

"Don't," the voice was coming from Pace's bunk.

"Oh no! He's not asleep?" Charlie cringed, but the words continued.

"No!" he continued to cry, but as he rolled over, Charlie saw that his eyes were tightly closed, his forehead slightly sweaty.

"Huh?" Charlie nearly shouted in her surprise. "He sleep talks?"

"Do you wanna die? Don't go!" Pace called in his sleep.

"You mean... all those times I thought he was talking to me... he was just sleep talking?" Charlie gasped, but as Pace continued to mumble, an idea struck her.

"Oh, this is too good!" she hurriedly ran to the twins' room and searched for the camera they had loaned her when she went to Juno. "Please have batteries this time," she begged as she opened the hatch on the camera. To her pleasure, the batteries were in place and the camera was ready to go.

"This is going to be perfect blackmail," Charlie grinned as she flipped the camera to video mode. "And perfect revenge."

Even more sneaky than before, Charlie re-entered the bedroom and climbed to the top of the bunk bed.

"Okay, Pace. Action," she smirked as she hit record.

"No," Pace continued to whine in his sleepy state.

"Success," Charlie tried to hold back her laughter as Pace kept on his sleep-talking.

"Don't go!" he repeated again. "Don't go! Casey!"

"Casey?" Charlie had not been expecting him to say that.

Looking down at Pace's pained face, she quickly returned to the floor.

"Okay. Maybe this isn't so funny after all," she decided as another moan issued from the bunk.

Pulling up her video on the camera screen, she immediately clicked 'delete' and headed for the door. Then, pausing to look back, she moved towards her nightlight that Pace hated, silently unplugging it and casting the room into darkness.