Chapter 8-4

"Yeah, Charlie!" called Bradford, who was fully clad in a cowboy costume.

"Who knew a stupid Athenian could be so entertaining!" chuckled the superhero version of Kane.

"I'm a girl but I enrolled in a boys school because I'm DUMMMMMB!" Nix twirled around and struck a pose, as the others continued to laugh wildly.

"Hey!" the real Charlie shouted.

"Look, Nix! I think you have some competition!" roared Bradford, as the entire group turned to face her. "Maybe she can help you lower your IQ so your costume will be really believable!"

"Yeah! Show him how to burn down the Chefs Club!" Kane grinned.

"Or how to break a telescope!" rockstar-costumed Zenith smirked.

"Come on, Charlie! Show me how to be you!" Nix stepped nearer, grabbing the sleeve of her dress and examining it.

"Stop that!" Charlie jerked away, accidentally spilling her glass of punch down the front of both her and Nix's costumes.

"Look what you did!" yelled Nix.

"Chaos Charlie strikes again!" Kane crossed his arms.

"She totally ruined Nix's costume!" Bradford scowled. "Go arrest her, Mad!" he turned to Madsen, who was dressed in a police uniform and the giant guy immediately whipped out a pair of plastic handcuffs and stepped towards her.

"Hey! Stop!" Charlie squealed as the bullies approached, but there were too many of them.

Cowering in her punch-soaked dress, Charlie stumbled back as the Spartans closed in, but suddenly another costumed-person appeared.

Charlie gasped. She would have recognized that costume anywhere! The newcomer was wearing a silken blue prince's uniform, complete with a tall pair of boots, a sash, a sword attached to a belt, and a large, masquerade mask.

"My Printz has come!" thought Charlie, instantly forgetting her troubles as she watched the gentlemanly prince draw his prop sword. "He looks so handsome!" she swooned. Even with his face concealed behind the mask, his charm was fully present to Charlie.

Now rounding on the prince, the Spartans looked at him too. Then, with one swift motion, he swished his sword through the air and smacked the gymnasium floor, creating a loud, echoing thud, and to Charlie's great surprise and relief, the group of mean boys scurried away.

"You're my hero!" Charlie cried with glee. "Thank you!" she leaped towards her rescuer, but shockingly, he only spun around and disappeared into the crowd.

"Huh?" Charlie frowned. "Wait! Printz!" she lifted her foot to follow after him, when someone behind her spoke up.

"You called?" Charlie spun around and instantly became more confused than before. Printz was standing there, smiling down at her in his sparkling, blue prince costume. He was wearing the same suit, the same boots, the same sash, and even the same sword- but no mask.

"What?" Charlie glanced back bewilderedly, but the other prince was nowhere to be seen.

"You're not excited to see me?" Printz tilted his head.

"No! That's not it!" she said quickly. "It's just... nevermind." Charlie looked around one final time, but still could not see her mystery knight.

"Hey! We match!" Printz delightedly eyed her costume, but his smile suddenly drooped. "Oh, no! What happened to your costume?" he asked, noticing the stain on her dress.

"I spilled my punch," she told him sadly.

"That's okay," said Prince. "Here. You can wear this to cover it," he told her, taking off his sash and pulling it over Charlie's head. "There! That's perfect!"

"Thanks," Charlie blushed.

"No problem!" Printz grinned. "What kind of prince would I be if I didn't rescue my princess?"

"Yeah..." said Charlie, glancing back one more time for the person who had rescued her from much more than a punch stain.