Chapter 2-5

"You've got to be kidding me!" Charlie was still stewing when she climbed into bed that night. "I don't think this has anything to do with Casey at all! Pace is just being a total jerk!" she groaned as the door opened.

"Oh, great," she muttered as Pace walked in. "Speaking of the jerk." Charlie quickly shut her eyes, pretending to sleep, and listened to his approaching footsteps carefully. "Please don't come over here, please don't come over here," she cracked open one eye, but to her relief, saw him climbing up the ladder to his bunk. "Good," she sighed. "I'd be okay if he never talked to me again... Unless, of course, he wanted to tell me I could have my blanket back," she thought, an idea suddenly popping into her head.

"I am not going to have another freezing night," she whispered to Lilly deviously. "That blanket will be mine. All I have to do is wait."

Long minutes passed- and even more long minutes.

"I wonder if he's asleep yet," Charlie perked her ears, listening hard. 

The top bunk was silent.

"All I have to do is grab the blanket and replace it before he wakes up in the morning," she told herself, stepping lightly onto the floor. "Piece of cake."

Charlie held her breath and reached for the ladder.

"Here goes nothing," she gulped, placing her foot onto the bottom rung. Then, heart racing, she began to climb.

In her fear, it felt like the ladder had stretched to a million feet high, but at last, she made it to the top. Pace was laying on his back, eyes closed and fast asleep.

"So far, so good," she thought, spying the unused blanket folded near his feet. "Now just to get it..."

Carefully, Charlie stretched her arm towards the blanket... but it was just out of reach.

"Shoot. Maybe I should just go back down," she frowned, but remembering how chilly she had been the night before, a sudden daring swept over her, urging her on.

Readjusting herself on the ladder, she gently placed a hand onto the mattress, reaching with her other arm across Pace. Her fingers were just centimeters away from the blanket when-

"Don't," Pace's voice commanded. "Do you wanna die?"

~~~

---AUTHOR NOTE---

Just a shortie update today, but it's the end of chapter 2! xD

Look for the beginning of Chapter 3 within the next couple of days!!!

xox Ray