Chapter 11-4

"What does that mean, 'it's not that kind of dance'?" Posey sounded confused.

"I don't know," Charlie frowned. "I guess it's just a casual party. Not a coat-and-tie kind of thing. Which means I don't get to dress up."

Charlie sighed sadly.

"I'm sorry," Posey pouted. "I'll make sure and take lots of pictures for you at mine. That way you can at least feel like you got to go."

"Thanks," Charlie sighed again.

"What is wrong?" Max asked as the boys entered her room for cheer practice.

"I'm just disappointed that I'm going to miss the dance at my old school," said Charlie.

"But we have a dance too," Rib looked confused.

"Yeah! It's going to be fun!" nodded Demeter.

"You'll love the music!" said Apollo.

"And the snacks!" added Rib.

"I know," Charlie frowned. "But it's going to be very casual, isn't it? Not like a homecoming or prom."

"Well, we can't bring dates or anything, so if that's what you mean," Rib shrugged. "But it's still gonna be fun."

"I guess," sighed Charlie. "I was just really looking forward to getting all dressed up and dancing and..."

"Stop it, Charlie! Now you're depressing me!" said Demeter.

"Yeah!" Apollo turned to Rib. "Why'd you have to remind us that we can't bring dates?" he pouted.

"Do not be sad, Charlie," Max smiled and touched her shoulder. "I am sure you will have a nice time. Now let us help you practice your cheer."

~~~

"Is everyone ready?" Max looked around the dorm when the night of the dance finally arrived.

"Yep! Let's head out!" Rib grinned.

"Right behind you!" called Demeter.

"Come on, Charlie," Apollo knocked on the bathroom door.

"Just a minute!" Charlie answered.

Despite what she had heard about the event, she still wanted to look her best, so even though she didn't get to wear a big, beautiful ballgown, she had picked out one of her cutest outfits and curled her hair.

"Wow! You look pretty!" the twins were wide-eyed at her appearance.

"You are lovely," agreed Max kindly.

"Hurry up, guys! We're gonna miss the band!" Rib cried as he dashed out of the dorm.

"What band?" Charlie asked as they headed down the hall towards the gym.

"The Invisible Toms," grinned Rib. "They're awesome!"

"Is their music good to dance to?" wondered Charlie hopefully.

"Oh, yeah!" nodded Rib. "Come on!" he waved them into the gymnasium where a giant crowd was gathered in front of a stage.

"Attention students!" Mr. Campbell was stepping in front of the mic. "I have a few announcements before we kick off this dance!"

"Ughh," a few of the Spartans moaned from the crowd, but Mr. Campbell continued on.

"First off, this is the last event before Spring Break," he said. "When classes resume, we will still have two large events to look forward to- the school play, and of course, the Olympics. All participating teams must be signed up by the Monday after Spring Break. And finally, we have selected our grand marshal for the Olympics this year, and all I can say is, I think you will be pleased!"

"I wonder who it will be?" Max looked curious.

"Yeah, do you guys have any idea?" Rib asked the twins.

"No. We've been trying to find out, but we know as much as you," Demeter shook his head.

"It's sure to be someone good, though!" said Apollo.

"Right!" Demeter added. "Oh! Maybe it's someone from the real Olympics!"

"Could the academy really get someone that famous?" Charlie was impressed.

"Definitely!" Apollo nodded. "Never underestimate the King of Olympus!"

"He means the school president," Rib explained at Charlie's confused expression. "He owns Olympus and Juno."

"And he always gets the best grand marshals for the Olympics!" grinned Demeter.

"Yeah. I hope it's an actor from 'Shouts From The Woods'!" said Rib.

"Why would it be someone from 'Shouts From The Woods'?" Demeter frowned at him.

"Because you said 'the best'!" Rib stated. "And that would be the best!"

"Whatever," laughed Demeter.

"I hope it really is someone from the Olympics," said Max.

"And now," Mr. Campbell was finishing up his speech. "Without further ado, I introduce, The Invisible Toms!"

"It's dancing time!" grinned Apollo.

Charlie smiled in excitement as the band crossed the stage, but as soon as they began to play, she realized this was definitely not the kind of dancing she had been hoping for.

The minute the music started to blare, the crowd began to push towards the stage, screaming, jumping and bumping around wildly.

It was like a mosh pit at a rock concert, and Charlie was not at all happy.

"Whew!" she breathed when she had managed to escape the group of crazed boys. "I bet this is nothing like the dance Posey's at..."

~~~

"Charlie! There you are!" Rib found Charlie sitting at the back of the room when the dance had ended.

"Huh? Is it over?" Charlie peeked up from her frightened position in the corner.

"Come on! I have something important to show you!" Rib grinned, dashing mysteriously out the side door of the gym.