Chapter 11-3

"Charlize. You look distracted," Printz told Charlie at rehearsal that afternoon. "Is everything okay?"

"Hm?" Charlie turned to him. "Oh. Yeah," she added quickly, although she was still completely bewildered by what Pace had said to her.

"Good. Then let's get to work," Printz smiled and opened his script. "How about we work on the party scene. You know, the one where Romeo and Juliet talk about kissing," he finished with a wink.

"Oh!" Charlie instantly forgot about Pace as she nervously flipped open her script.

"Uhh, Charlize," Printz began.

"Yeah?" Charlie asked smally, cheeks flushing.

"You're holding your book upside-down," he grinned.

"Oh," Charlie quickly turned over her script and hid her face behind its pages.

"I'll start," said Printz, beginning his lines.

"This is so nerve-wracking," Charlie thought. "When is he going to ask me to the dance? Why isn't the necklace working?" she wondered, when suddenly she realized that maybe it was because she was not wearing the necklace!

"Charlize, it's your line," said Printz.

"Oh, I just remembered I forgot something," she said, jumping up. "I'll be right back!"

Quick as lightning, Charlie awkwardly scurried out of the auditorium, but as she rounded the corner in the hall outside, she bumped into someone.

"Pace!" Charlie gasped. "Don't tell me you're also secretly in Drama Club!" she narrowed her eyes.

"No. But you were secretly in my bed," said Pace.

"Huh?" Charlie stared at him in surprise.

"Tell Printz thanks, but I don't think it'll really look good on me," he finished, throwing something at Charlie and stalking away. It was her necklace.

"Why's he acting like that now?" Charlie frowned as she put on the necklace. "Is he embarrassed by what he said?"

"Charlize!" Printz had now joined her in the hall. "Why did you run away so fast? What did you forget?"

"Oh, this," Charlie pinched her heart necklace. "I wanted to make sure and wear it so you know how much I like it," she hinted.

"I'm glad," smiled Printz. "But you don't have to wear it every day for me to know that," he winked. "Come on," he added, leading her back onto the stage.

"You know, I was thinking I could wear this to the dance too," Charlie went on.

"Cool," said Printz, looking at his script.

"Maybe we can match again like at the Halloween party," she continued.

"Oh! Speaking of the Halloween party, your costume would be perfect for Juliet!" said Printz. "If you give it to me, I'll take it to the cleaners so they can get out that punch stain."

"Sure," Charlie frowned. "So, anyways... What are you going to wear?" she asked.

"There's a nice Romeo costume in the prop room," he answered.

"I mean to the dance," said Charlie.

"Probably just a pair of jeans and a nice shirt," he said casually.

"Huh?" Charlie tilted her head. "You're not wearing a suit?"

"A suit?" Printz stared at her. "Oh! Did you think it was a formal event? Is that why you've been hinting about it? Because you wanted to go together?"

"Well, I," Charlie blushed.

"Trust me, Charlize," said Printz. "I would love to ask you to be my date to the dance, but... it's not that kind of dance."