Chapter 8-1

"Rib! What happened back there?" Demeter shouted when they had made it back to Olympus that evening.

"They just wanted to get me out so Nix could play goalie," Rib scowled furiously, falling onto the couch, still in his uniform, and adding a grass stain to the old blood stain he had previously made.

"But why'd you get kicked off the field?" Apollo looked at him.

"Bradford tried to trip me," said Rib, making everyone stare in confusion. "And I punched him," he added innocently.

"You got kicked out of the game for that?!" Demeter's jaw dropped. "You should have been given a trophy!"

Apollo nodded in agreement.

"Of course, you could have given Zenith a good wallop, too..." Demeter went on.

"At least we still won the match," Max tried to keep the conversation positive.

"And the soccer season's finally over," Rib sighed. "Now I don't have to deal with those jerks at practice every day and I can just focus on my film- and my birthday! Did you all get your costumes for the party?"

"Yep!" smiled Apollo.

"And did you all get my presents?" asked Rib greedily.

"Oh, man! We forgot!" gasped Demeter.

"What?" Rib tackled him.

"Stop it!" cried Demeter as Rib continued to wrestle him. Apollo watched on in amusement and Max leaned over to Charlie.

"Do you think we should tell him he was only joking?" he whispered.

Charlie could only giggle.

~~~

"You got a princess costume?" Posey squealed with delight. "I want to wear a princess gown! You're so lucky you get to have a school Halloween party!"

"Yeah, well you get to have a school dance!" Charlie reminded her. "And I'm sure your dress for that will be way better than my cheap little costume."

"Yeah! It's going to be so pretty! I already started looking for one!" Posey rambled excitedly.

"Already?" Charlie laughed, but was not surprised. "I wish I could come," she told her, pulling her new costume from the bag and hanging it in the closet as Pace opened the door. "Don't worry," she told him quickly, shutting the wardrobe and hanging up the phone. "My costume came with its own hanger, so I didn't touch any of yours."

"Is there even anything of mine still in this room?" Pace looked around at the fluffy pink bedroom in disgust.

"Heh," Charlie looked down guiltily. "So, uh... What are you going to be for Halloween?" she tried to change the subject.

"Someone who has an annoying roommate," he said grouchily, before climbing to his bunk and flinging his pillow over his eyes.

"So he thinks he's too cool to wear a costume, huh?" Charlie grimaced, spitefully turning up the brightness setting on her night light all the way.

~~~

Charlie was excited to see a poster hanging in the hallway on Monday morning.

'CREEPY ACADEMY HALLOWEEN BASH

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31, 6-10

OLYMPUS GYMNASIUM

FOOD, GAMES, AND A SPECIAL FILM SHOWING

COSTUMES MANDATORY'

"I can't believe Mr. Campbell agreed to let Rib show his movie at the party," she cringed as she looked over the writing. "It's going to be so embarrassing. Maybe no one will recognize me in all the makeup..."

"So, did you get your costume yet?" a voice behind her made her jump as she looked at the printed ghost on the sign.

"Printz!" Charlie sighed, turning around. "Yeah, I got it yesterday," she told him.

"Me too," said Printz. "I had Madsen pick mine up for me during the match."

"So that prince suit was for him!" Charlie thought anxiously, suddenly extremely nervous about her matching costume.

"What are you going as?" he asked.

"Umm..." she hesitated embarrassedly.

"Oh, so it's a secret, huh?" Printz chuckled. "Then I won't tell you mine, either," he winked.

"That's okay. I already know!" she thought deviously, her anticipation growing.

"So, what do you think this 'special film showing' is?" Printz turned back to the poster.

"No idea," Charlie lied, now more anxious than before. She did not want her crush to see her in Rib's terribly cheesy horror movie.

~~~

"Where's Rib?" Charlie looked around the dorm that afternoon.

"Movie editing," Demeter nodded towards Rib's room, giving Charlie another uncomfortable reminder of the upcoming film showing. "Why?"

"I need to wrap his present," she said, grabbing a tape dispenser and pair of scissors. "AH!" Charlie dropped the scissors. They were covered in blood.

"Rib! You left your prank scissors out here again!" Demeter yelled, but Rib did not reply.

"He is very concentrated on his work," said Max.

"Good," said Charlie, grabbing the real scissors and beginning to cut the wrapping paper.

"You're really good at that. Can you wrap our presents for Rib too?" asked Apollo.

"Sure," Charlie agreed. "Do you need your gift wrapped too, Max?"

"No, thank you. I have already finished wrapping it," smiled Max. 

"Of course," laughed Demeter as Apollo ran to get their presents for Charlie to wrap.

Just then, the door opened and Pace joined them in the common room.

"Hey, Pace! Do you want Charlie to wrap your birthday present for Rib?" Apollo asked as he returned with he and Demeter's shopping bags in hand.

Pace said nothing.

"You did get him a present, right?" asked Demeter.

Pace looked bored.

"Yeah, and what about your costume for the party?" Apollo added. "Did you get that yet?"

"Why would I want to wear a stupid costume?" Pace scowled.

"You must," said Max. "It is mandatory."

"Yeah, you better hurry," warned Demeter. "Or else everything will be sold out. They were already pretty low in stock when we went yesterday."

"Yep. You need to get to the store soon," nodded Apollo.

"And do not forget a gift for Rib," Max put in helpfully.

"I'll go-" said Pace. "When I'm good and ready," he finished, stalking into his bedroom.