Chapter 9-5

"Charlie!" Charlie's parents welcomed her happily when she and Posey's bus finally arrived back in her home town.

"Mom! Dad!" Charlie greeted them with a hug.

"Come in and put your things in your room! Dinner's almost ready!" Charlie's mom waved them inside.

"I'm so glad to be home and away from Pace," Charlie sighed to Posey as she sat Lilly on her bed.

"I'm glad you're back too," Posey grinned. "Hey, you should wear your new necklace," she added.

"Oh, right!" said Charlie, pulling the present from her bag. 

"That reminds me!" gasped Posey as she helped Charlie put on the necklace. "I still have to give you my present too! Here!" she pulled a package from her bag.

"It's so pretty!" Charlie exclaimed as she opened the gift. It was a pink picture frame holding a photo of her and Posey in their cheerleader uniforms. "I love it!" she smiled. "And it'll really annoy Pace when I put it in our room!" she added feistily.

"I thought you'd like it," grinned Posey.

"I do. I really miss cheering with you, though," said Charlie, frowning at the picture.

"Me too! We just started working on this new trick before break. It's called a 'basket toss'," Posey pulled out her phone and showed Charlie a video from practice. A tiny cheerleader was hoisted above the other athletes, soaring into the air with a spin before landing back in their arms. "Doesn't it look cool?"

"Wow! I wish I could learn that!" Charlie stared at the video enviously.

"I can show you how," offered Posey.

"But there's no one to practice with at Olympus," Charlie frowned.

"Well, you do live with a room full of strong-looking boys," said Posey.

~~~

"I can't believe we're already back," Charlie pouted when the bus pulled up outside of Olympus Academy. "The holidays went by way too fast."

"I'll miss you," Posey cried.

"Thanks for teaching me that new cheerleading stunt!" Charlie hugged her.

"Yep! Are you going to ask the boys to help you practice it?" wondered Posey.

"Well, the twins did say they'd help me before, but I don't think that's really what they meant..." Charlie grimaced. "Besides, Pace would never allow me to do something like that around the dorm. He'd probably say it was annoying."

"You know," said Posey slowly. "You sure talk about Pace a lot. And you haven't even mentioned the guy who got you that," she pointed to Charlie's necklace.

Charlie looked at Posey in speechless surprise as her friend climbed back onto the bus.

~~~

"Ugh, I don't talk about Pace a lot. I complain about Pace a lot," Charlie growled to herself as she got into bed. "And now break's over and I have to put up with him again! At least I haven't seen him yet, so it's pretty peaceful."

Charlie grinned, but just then, Pace entered the bedroom, and noticing her new picture frame, shot her a disgusted glare before climbing to his bunk.

"Well, now that he's asleep, it's pretty peaceful," she revised her thought when the room was finally silent.

However, just as she closed her eyes to sleep herself, a moaning and clanking of chains issued through the wall from Rib's room.

"Except for Rib's new CD," she sighed.