Chapter Thirty - Louis

I felt terrible. Absolutely, one hundred percent terrible. How could I just leave him alone at a damn funeral. I was horrible, I shouldn't have done it. I should have just stayed with him. He needed me. He needed the comfort.

"Oh thank God" Charly groaned as I entered her room. Another lady on the other side of the room looked at the new comer. "This hurts so much" her head fell back on to the pillow, sweat forming on her hairline.

"Sorry, I had to travel from Ireland" I walked to her side and took her hand in mine. "How's it going?"

"Hurts. A lot. Only 6 centimetres dilated. Ow, contraction" she breathed through it, holding my hand, gripping it tightly. "Contractions are coming quicker now. I don't think it's long now" she already looked exhausted.

"Hey, I'm just going to give Niall a quick call, alright?" she nodded. I decided to stay next to her just incase she needed me.

The phone began to ring and ring and ring, then he picked up. I wanted to spill out an apology for leaving him, even though he allowed me to go, I wanted to say I was sorry.

"Hey Louis" his voice was low and soft.

"Hey babe, how are you?" I could just imagine the looks I would be getting from the other people in the room, but I chose to ignore it. I didn't need that.

" 'm alright. Everything okay over there?"

"Yeah, still waiting, but she thinks it's soon" it was then I regretted my decision. Why didn't I bring him with me? He could have been here to witness the birth.

"That's good" he replied. Charly groaned as another contraction came on. She gripped my hand tightly. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, contraction. I should go, I'll call you after the birth. I love you" he replied back softly. I hung up and shoved my phone back into my pocket. I was still in the clothes I wore to the funeral, I didn't have time to change, I wanted to be there as soon as possible.

Few minutes later a nurse entered the room, she checked Charly's dilation, and when the words left her mouth my heart rate increased.

"I hope you're ready to be parents, because it's time" she smiled widely. Charly and I looked at each other, teary eyed. This was it. It was happening. I kissed her forehead before we were taken off into another room. I was put into something to cover my clothes and they prepared Charly for the birth. She looked scared, she had no one but me, and the doctors, I felt sorry for her.

We were finally ready, she was lying down, waiting for the time to push and I was there to hold her hand through it all. The first push was one of the hardest, it seemed. Her face was red and strained and when she stopped she fell back, exhausted already.

"I can't. I can't Louis" she whined.

"Yeah you can. I know you can" I assured. I took her hand in mine and kissed her sweaty temple. "You can do it"

"Alright, Love. Time to push again" she groaned and propped herself up ready to push. She squeezed my hand so hard I thought it would break, I was so glad I would never have to go through this. "We can see a head"

My heart was pounding. I was almost going to see my child. I couldn't believe it. Before I knew it, Charly was pushing again. I held her hand just as tightly and soon, cries filled the room. Charly laid on the bed exhausted, muffled words filled my ears.

"Congratulations, it's a girl" I smiled as they urged me to cut the chord. I did then she was taken away to be checked on.

"You did so well" I told Charly.