Chapter 33: Bloody hell

Carl's POV

"Maxie..." I choked out. "Wh-what happened"
"Shut up and cut it off!" she yelled. She walked over and sat in a chair, putting her hand on the table and set her hunting knife beside it. The first person to do anything was my dad but Daryl shoved him harshly aside and picked up the knife.
"How'd this happen?" He whispered.
"Just cut it off. Right on the knuckle, I got lucky that it's only the tip on my thumb and the first part of my my index finger! Cut it off before it's a bullet being sent through my brain instead of a damn knife going through my knuckle" she shouted.

"Lets just shoot her now, we don't know how long she's been infected, her cloths are pretty ripped up two, arms scratched, maybe she is infected by a scratch. We don't know" My dad stated.
"We ain't killing her" Daryl said threw gritted teeth.
"We saved my daddy we can save her!" Beth cried.
"I'll cut it. I don't trust by one else to" and with that Daryl walked over to Maxie. "Carl, hold her still" I nodded and jogged over to them.

I got up to Maxie and wrapped my arms around her chest, holding her still so she doesn't move and worsen the situation.
"This is going to be a bitch Maxer" Autumn tried to say through tears.
"Here" Carol grabbed a piece of cloth from god only knows where and put it in Maxie's mouth to prevent her from screaming and attracting more walkers.
"One" Daryl said has he positioned the knife.
"Tw-" not even finishing with counting, Daryl drove the sharp edges or the knife into Maxie's fingers causing her to scream and squirm around.

"Carol, bandages" Daryl shouts.
"She's lost a lot of blood with the gun shot and now this, Daryl I don't know if she-" Carol whispers has she hands him the bandages.
"Sh. She's going to be fine! Carol she's going to be fine! I-I need her to be fine. Next to my brother she's the closest thing I have to family, through blood or not" Daryl whispered, close to sobbing.
"I know hon, I know, I'm scared to" Carol sobbed has she kissed Daryl's cheek.

"Maxie how do you feel?" I asked.
"Tired... Weak" she mumbled, I could see she was fighting hard to keep her eyes open.
"Lets get you to bed" helping her up, I held her arm has I helped her up the stairs and into the cell.
"Here" she sat on my bed well I fished through her bag and found some cloth for her to change into.
"Carl I can't, can you get Carol to come help me" She mumbled, I get why she chose Carol, Carol is her mother figure, just like Daryl's her dad.
"Yeah, yeah I can" I kissed her forehead and practically jumped down the stairs.
"Carol! There you are, Maxie needs help changing her cloths" that sounded a lot better in my head.
"She's uh to weak right now to do it her self and she's kind of falling asleep has we speak" Carol nodded and stood up from the table, kissing Daryl's cheek before walking to the cell.

"Carl?" lost in my thoughts, I was startled by Sophia.
"Yeah?"
"Is she ok?" she sounded like she was crying just moments before.
"Yeah, just needs rest" I whispered.
"Is she infected?"
"No, well I don't know. my dads cuffing her to the bed for the night, we'll see in the morning" I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "She has to be alright"
"She needs to be alright. she's are person" Sophia smiled slightly has she placed her hands on top of mine.
"Friendly gustier, not trying anything" she giggled. Letting out a sigh of relief I thought of what she said before that.
"She's our person?" I asked.
"That one who you can live without. She's our best fiend. We need her"
"Your right, dating or not... Maxie was always my best friend" I whispered.

~ Flashback ~

"Carl! catch!" Maxie shouted has she tossed me an orange soda.
"Where'd you find these?" I laughed has I opened the can and took a sip of the fizzed soda.
"Oh we where looting some place, Daryl and I, and we grabbed some a box of A&W Rootbeer and Orange soda, shh... there suppose to be just mine and his, its our reward for all the flood and supplies we bring to the group. Buuuut we can sacrifice one" She smiled.

"So... what now." I asked, we were sitting on the ground in a field just beside our camp before on the count of three she shouted "Chug!" and we both took large gulps of the soda.
"Ya know,- I'm s-urprised these- ain't flat yet" She tried to say through hiccups.
I laughed. " Yeah me to" I looked over at her and her face was a bit pink from holding her breath.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"It's suppose to make the hiccups go away" she giggled and took a deep breath.
"Did it work?" I asked, she shrugged and we were both silent for two minutes.
"Yepper!" she laughed. She stood up and tightened the straps of her overalls before leaning over to face me, which I thought she was going to kiss me, and tagged me shouting, "Your it Grimes!" and running away.
"Sophia! come play tag" She shouted.
"Tag? How old is that girl really?" my mother sighed.
"She's just enjoying life Lori" Carol smiled.
"There is no time for fun and games! She needs to grow up" Lori growled.
"No, she needs to be a child. Not some guns a blazing serial killer" Carol snapped.
"Why not? she already killed Shane, bet Ricks next, or even me!"
"Lori, shut the hell up. She saved your husband by killing Shane, hell, she probably saved most of us! Let the kids enjoy the last bit of childhood they have before teaching them all the ways to kill a corpse"

"Got you!" Maxie shouted has she tackled me to the ground, holding me down in a straddling position.
"Oh yeah?" I smirked, retching my hands up to her hips, I tickled her and she, almost, screamed has she fell over off of me laughing.
"Who what are you to doing? making out?" Sophia joked.
"Ew no!" Maxie giggled. Yeah, she's childish, and I like her even more for it.

We all sat around the fire well Maxie quietly sang 'Hey soul sister' by Train. She leaned over to rest her head on my shoulder well Sophia fell over and laid her head on Maxie's lap and Maxie put her hand on Sophia's head, smoothing out her hair.

~ end of Flashback ~

That was one fun memory we all had together, that one was one of the last times we ever got to be like that before my dad made me be more mature. Now, only Max has that small Spark of childhood in her. She's one weird girl, but a good kind of weird.

Maxie is our person, it's like she's the only thing that can remind us of the past.
She's this groups person, we all need her wether we'd say it or not.

Maxie Woods is our weird, crazy, spontaneous, heroic, adventuress, childish yet mature person.