Chapter 41: Tombs

It's was dark and freezing out, the only sound was from my feet slapping the ground and my panting has I dashed down the icy street. I was scared, running from something, but what? What was so terrifying that I was running and not defending myself? where's everyone else? Am I alone?

Becoming distracted in my thoughts I didn't notice the person in front on me. I slid to a stop and starred the man in his dark eye, the other covered by a patch. I know this man. It's Phillip and he looked down at me with a sicking grin. He held a dagger at me and blood was already dripping down the blade, I looked down to my stomach searching for the wound. Nothing. I took a glance behind Phillip and saw piled body's covered in blood. But not just any body's, the groups. Piled in a pool of blood. A very high pitched scream escaped my lips and echoes into the dark surroundings, tears fill my eyes has I fell to my knees. "I swear revenge" he smiled, pulling the dagger back and piercing my chest.

...

I bolted awake panting, tangled in my blanket. "Maxie? Are you alright?" AnnaBeth asked, holding a tight grip on my shoulders. I nodded quickly. "Bad dream" I huffed out. "Wanna talk about it?" she asked. I shook my head once more. She nodded and released my shoulders and went back to her bed. I calmed my panting a bit and wiped the sweat from my forehead and climbed down the latter, left our cell and went by that table area and sat at the bottom of the stairs. The light from the moon was a bit transparent because of all the snow, but enough light was let in.
"Everybody needs a prayer, and needs a friend. Everybody knows the worlds about to end. Everybody wants to know what the end will be. Everybody wants to look before they leap. Everybody wants a sip of wine to drink. Everybody wants a little more time to think. Everybody needs a reason why they run, everybody wants to know what they're running from" I sang quietly to nothing but myself and the whispers of the wind. I jumped slightly as a voice spoke from behind me "never heard that song before" I looked to see Carl standing at the top of the stairs. "Ever heard of The National?"I asked. "Nope" he shrugged. "That's why. Shouldn't you be asleep?" I asked. "Shouldn't you?" he said back. "Couldn't. Dark spirits hunt my dreams" I say we'll wiggling my fingers at him and grinning stupidly. "Nightmares? me to" he gave a slight smile before coming to sit next to me. It was an awkward silence before he broke it with even more awkwardness. "So... That kiss?" he asked. I mentally face palmed myself. "Carl forget about it! It meant nothing!" I said, starring up to leave to somewhere else-and less awkward but he grabbed my wrist and prevented me from leaving. "How can I forget when it meant something to me?" he whispered. Great- just way I wanted to hear. "Carl-" I started but he cut me off. "No Maxie. Don't tell me you thought it was nothing" he snapped. I was taken back, should this be a moment of truth? "Fine! yes it meant something! Sure I still love you but none of it matters!" I shouted/whispered back. "Why not?" He whispered, I could see the hurt in his eyes. "What's going on?" Daryl asked, startling us both. "Nothing- couldn't sleep" I said quickly, which is true. "Well you should go to sleep. Big day tomorrow" he sighed. "What do you mean?" Carl asked. "Your dad will explain over diner. Get some sleep" Daryl said, I nodded quickly and jogged up the steps. "Maxie, we will talk about this later" Carl whispered from right behind me. "Doubt it" I said under my breath so quietly it was like no words came out at all. "You two sneaking around?" Daryl joked. "Yes Daryl" I said sarcastically. "Not aloud" Daryl said fatherly pointing a finger at me. "No Daryl! it was just a dream, got up to walk around, Carl woke up so we were talking" I explained. "'bout what?" he asked. O shrugged "tell you about it later... its nothing you would care about, just- drama" "drama eh?" he asked. I nodded. "well then, off to bed" he said, kissed the top of my head and headed back to the mat he calls his bed. "Hey Daryl?" I asked. "yep?" he asked, i could barely make out his figure in the dark. "could I lay with you for a bit? The dream I had, well the nightmare I had, it made me think-" I said looking down at my toes. "what happened in the dream?" he asked, concern in his voice. "Phillip. He attacked, killed everyone! Daryl it was awful!" I was so frightened even just recalling the dream that I dashed to Daryl's bed where he embraced me in an awkward hug. "Nothing bad will happen, if Phillip does attack, do you really think we'd be the ones falling? Max, we have three badass's - you, Merle and myself - and people who won't take shit from no one" I gave a faint laugh. "Good point" I shrugged, I retreated from the hug and made myself at home - even though I am in my home - and pulled the blanket over my shoulder and placed my head on the pillow. "now what are you doing girl?" he asked. "what? you think i'm going back to my cell? Nuh uh old man" I grinned, he sighed and laid down next to me. "but seriously though, the Gov won't hurt anyone" he said. "I know" I replied simply. He's right, with a group like this, we won't go down easy. With that thought I drifted to - a dreamless - sleep.