•44•

No one else can take risks for us, or face our losses on our behalf, or give us self-esteem. No one can spare us from life's slings and arrows, and when death comes, we meet it alone. – Martha Beck

Zee...

"Jefe R. Gomez." I sniff, playing with a damp napkin in my hand. The receptionist nods, browsing for the name in the system.

"He's in room 700." I thank her, making my way to the elevator and someone bumps into my shoulder. I turn around screw face, witnessing a smirk on the guys face as he slowly turns back around.

"Ma bad ma." He chuckles, walking off. I furrow my eyebrows as the twins walk toward me.

"You good Zee?" Conner questions.

"He looks familiar." I say, turning on my heel boarding the elevator. Cornelius presses seven, and the doors close. I try to think where I seen that guy from. I can't think if it was my childhood, or if it was my teenage years but I seen him somewhere.

As we exit off the elevator, the whole floor is swarmed with police. It confused me because It's 3 in the morning, and I'm completely lost to what happened tonight. I see Kevin finish up with a couple officers. His lip is busted and he has a swollen black eye, so something told me Bricks had to get into a fight while he was out with Kevin. I walk over towards him and the twins enter Jefe's room. I need to know what I'm about to walk into before I go in there. 

"Kevin." I call. He sighs sitting down on the chair so I sit beside him.

"What happen?" I question.

"It happened so fast Zee. We was at the bar, ordering drinks. And these seven guys came out of nowhere yo. They started-." Kevin kneels in his lap, running his hands down his face. I wiped the tears, as I look up and down the hall at the cops just walking pass on duty.

"They started what Kev?" 

"I don't know if you slept with one of the guys in your past, but they was talking crazy shit about you to Jefe. And you know how he gets when it comes to you. So I told him to come on, because I wasn't about to fight them niggas. It's two of us and seven of them, so that was already a lost fight. He hesitated at first, but decided fine. We walked out the bar to the car, and them niggas followed us still talking mad shit. So Jefe fed into it, punching one of the dudes in the face then the other six jumped in but Jefe put up a fight. All them niggas got some type of mark, we both made sure of that." Kevin sighs sitting back, laying his head back on the wall.

"So what happen after y'all fought?" Kevin shakes his head.

"I got two pieced, which knocked me out. And after a short while I woke up with a sharp pain in my head, seeing flashing lights and Bricks laying on the ground unconscious, bleeding from his side. He was breathing but he wasn't moving at all." I wipe the tears, looking down in my lap with furrowed brows. Why would anyone want to hurt Bricks? I mean that mouth of his is reckless, but it seems like since we've been married people always start with him.

We've been working on his temper for about a good month now. He's been doing good. But its like when it comes to people talking shit about me, he gets defensive and that irritates me. He says it's because I'm his wife, and I need to be respected but I swear it's way more too it. It's like he hates for people to remind him of my past and if that's the case, why are we together if he can't let that go. 

"How does he look Kev?" I question. He looks at me shaking his head.

"You won't even recognize him Zee." He says. I could feel my self getting nauseous so I run to the bathroom, using a stall. Once done, I bursh my teeth cleaning my face after. From all the crying my face looks completely flushed. I exit the bathroom, about to walk into Bricks room until I head a family voice yelling.