•58•

Those who can't have you hate you, those who have you can't handle you, those who abuse you lose you, & then there are those like me who just can't refuse you! - Unknown  

The Next Morning...

Piper...

I pull up to Cornelius' house, parking next to the Camaro in the garage. I cut the engine, taking a deep breath. I really just want to get this over with, so Cornelius can say what he has to say and be done with it. I read between the results, finding his and grabbing my purse out the passenger seat.

I get out, locking my i8 with my pink keypad, making my way to the stoned steps. I approach the glass double doors, ringing the doorbell. Cornelius answers the door and of course this nigga is in his draws. Well I mean it is 8 in the morning, I would still be in something I slept in as well.

He leans on the door smirking while moving to the side. I enter the house, making my way to the living room on the second floor. I sit my bag on the coffee table, looking to see Cornelius with basketball shorts on. He takes a seat on the couch, and I drop the papers in front of him.

"It's yours Cornelius." He reads over the paper, looking through it.

"I don't need your money to provide for us. I can do that myself because I have a stable job, a clothing line and a boutique so we're good." I sigh, looking down at my hands.

"All I want is for you to be in the child's life." I tell him.

"So you don't want me in your life either?" He questions. I pick my head up in confusion, raising a brow.

"I mean, you will be in my life because of this child so what are you talking about?" I question. Cornelius sighs, sitting back as he plays with his beard.

"You and that nigga done?" I furrow my eyebrows, taking a seat on the couch.

"Yes we're done...where is all this coming from?" I question screw face. 

"Don't play dumb with me Piper! You came up in that center with that nigga Chuck holding hands and shit. Y'all sat next to each other while we waited to go in the back for testing, that nigga was fucking consoling you like y'all got back together. So I'm asking you, are you and that clown back together b?" 

"So you think I lied to you?" 

"Well I wasn't grilling your ass for nothing!" He says in a sarcastic tone. I furrow my eyebrows looking down in my lap as it started to make sense. The way he was staring me at me when we were  in New York last summer, he asked for my number that morning he stepped out the room shirtless. Always wanting to take me out when I was going through shit with Chuck.

"Wait...do you like me?" 

"No." He retorts, putting emphasis on the n. I chuckle, getting up to sit next to him.

"Cornelius." I call. He sighs, standing to his feet, walking off so I follow behind him. We walk the hall that connects the two houses.

"You don't have to play the tough role with me Cornelius. We're suppose to tell each other everything remember. No matter what the person may think." I remind him. We made that pact when we first began talking. Crazy thing is, it's never been used until now.

"I'm not playing a tough role." He says dryly turning down a another hall. I jog up to pass him, standing in front of him to block his way. He sighs licking his lips while looking down at me.

"You are playing the tough role Cornelius! Like you're scared to tell me that you like me, or you don't wanna show emotion. Like I'm going to judge you when I'm not. If you like me then just say it."