24- Just A Dream AU

[Based on Just A Dream by Carrie Underwood. Most of the story are the lyrics.]

Third Person's P.O.V.

It's two weeks after the day he turned eighteen. All dressed in white, except the green tie.

Castiel drives to the church that night, were he and a special someone are to be wed. He has a box of letters in the passenger's seat. Sixpence in his shoe, something borrowed, something blue.

The church door open up wide, he looks down, trying to hide the tears. He just can't believe it, he hears the trumpets from the military band the the box of letters fall out is his hands.

He sees his fiancé, Dean, lying peacefully in a open casket. Wearing a suit.

Military men, family, and friends are sitting in the seats. His mother saw him and run up to him.

"He promised he'd come back. I was counting on forever." He sobs in her shoulder. He can't even breathe anymore.

It's like it isn't actually happening. Like he's looking from a distance, standing in the background.

"I'm sorry, but he isn't coming home now." Amelia, his mother, rubs his back.

This can't be happening to me, he thinks. Dean isn't dead, this is just a dream. A nightmare.

Amelia picks up the box of letters and leads him to a seat in front.

The preacher then says, "Let us bow our heads and pray. Lord please lift his soul, and heal this hurt."

Then the congregation all stand up and sing the saddest song that he has ever heard. Then a man in uniform, wearing white gloves, hands him a folded up flag. He cries as he holds on to all he had left of Dean.

He then gets into his car with his brother, Gabriel. Gabriel drives them to the cemetery in silence.

When they get there, the military men do a practice performance with their guns. They shoot a few times. Castiel feels like he's getting shot in the heart as they do.

All Castiel can think is, Why? Baby, why'd you leave me? Why'd you have to go? I was counting on forever, now I'll never know..

Castiel let the sobs escape, not being able to breathe again.

When they lower the casket, Castiel runs forwards to it, but Gabriel catches him in time.

"NO! DEAN!!" His voice cracks. Gabriel drags away from the six feet hole they're lowering him in.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Castiel wakes up. Tears streaming down his cheeks. He turns around in his bed, hoping to see Dean.

No one's on the other side.

He sits up and starts sobbing loudly.

"Bee, what's wrong??" A sweet, deep, familiar voice says.

Castiel looks up and sees Dean walking towards him, clearly worried.

Castiel runs up to Dean and hugs him tightly, never wanting to let go.

He feels arms wrap around his waist and he instantly feels better. His fast beating heart and ragged breath slow down slowly.

Dean leads them back to their bed. He sits next to Castiel and grabs his hand. The cold metal of his wedding ring touching Castiel's warm hand.

"Babe, tell me what happened.." Dean says to his husband. He makes Castiel look up at him and wiped away his tears.

Castiel hiccups a few times.

"I'm going to get you water, I'll be right back." Dean says. Castiel grabs his arm quickly and shakes his head.

"N-No...I'll b-be fine." Castiel managed to say after he clears his throat.

"Alright..but tell me what happened." Dean says, "Why are you crying?"

Castiel takes a deep, shakey, breath and looks at his husband.

"I-I dreamt that you..you didn't keep your promise.." Castiel eyes gets blurry once again.

"Oh, Cas.." Dean embraces him again and kisses the top of his head. "I started keeping that promise two years ago. We'll always be together, we will last forever."

Castiel nods slowly. Dean then pulls away and gives Castiel a slow kiss. Dean assures him that there's nothing to cry about. He's there right now and isn't going anywhere.

Once Castiel feels well enough, they go downstairs. Castiel sits up on the kitchen counter as Dean gets him a glass of water.

Castiel takes small sips of water.

"Alright," Dean begins, "How about we lie down on the couch and make fun of stupid shows?"

Castiel chuckles and nods, "Okay."

Dean carries Castiel on his back, spinning a few times. Castiel laughs as he gets tossed onto the couch. Dean grabs a blanket and lies down with Castiel. They turn on the TV and watch random shows.

"Bean.." Castiel says, Dean chuckles at the nickname.

"Yes, baby in a trenchcoat?" Dean replies, now Castiel is the one that chuckles.

"I love you. Very much." Castiel turns to face Dean.

"And I love you. More than anything." Dean replies, and pecks Castiel's lips.

"More than Baby or pie?" Castiel asks in a small voice.

"More than Baby and pie." Dean kisses Castiel again.

"Okay, now you're just trying to get some.." Castiel mumbles against his lips. Dean laughs once he pulls back.

"Is it working?" Dean asks. Castiel rolls his eyes.

"Maybe.." Castiel says. Dean smiles and nuzzles his nose, making Castiel giggle.

Little did they know, that they weren't going to last forever. Sadly, Dean had to be drafted back to war and leave Castiel, for good that time.

[Wrote this for Memorial Day, in honor for everyone that has served our country.

Thank you for risking your lives (and some actually giving them up) for us.]