38: "Shakespeare Was Right."

Graduation will always be bittersweet.

When I crossed the stage in my cap and gown to collect my diploma I smiled with sadness. Because while I've reached the next stage in my life, ready to move on, I can't help but be sad at everything I'll be leaving behind.

All my friends, and even the seniors who weren't my friends, I won't be seeing next semester. Except for Oscar and Jesse, that is.

I think Oscar's Valedictorian speech captured everything I could wish to say and more.

"Students, parents and faculty of Manhattan High, I would first like to say thank you for this year and the three that came before it. MHS has shaped each and every one of us in different ways, whether it be giving us the courage to stand up not to our enemies, but to our peers. Maybe finding love where we thought we weren't allowed to look. Perhaps giving us the strength to let yourself be seen by others for who you truly are. Or providing the courage to share what you have always kept hidden.

"So, it's with great pride that I can speak on behalf of this graduating class because I have never seen one better. Yet it's with great sadness I realise that there are some here I will not come to share myself with in the future. It has been the greatest of honours to be Valedictorian of such an extraordinary cohort. I've had fierce rivals and stiff competition throughout my time here and I would not change one detail because each of my experiences has given me the opportunity to stand here now. I've been taught resilience, bravery and compassion by my friends and have been given knowledge, patience and ambition by my teachers; I would not be able to value one over the other. For it is not the classes alone that have got me here, but the incredible people that took them with me.

"I have loved every day I've spent at this school and will treasure every memory I have dearly until the day I leave this earth. This school and these people have changed the person I am and will influence the person I become. I would not have it any other way. I choose not to regret my mistakes but embrace what I learn from them which I encourage anyone who will listen to me to do as well. I guarantee when you change how you look at the world, you change how you look at yourself and when I look in the mirror I am happy. I want everyone to look in the mirror and smile because you deserve to. You have done amazing things, you will continue to do amazing things. If you take one thing from my speech, I urge it to be that.

"Class of 2020, you've been beyond wonderful. So, when you embark on your next phase of life. Forget not what you've learned, let it drive you and push you forwards and never let it hold you back. We said 'hello' as children, we say 'goodbye' as adults. High school has taken us this far, let's see where we can go on our own. The only thing left for me to say is congratulations to Manhattan High's Class of 2020 and thank you to those that got us here."

Oscar was the first person I hugged after the ceremony. I may not have spent a lot of time with him over the past year but I've truly grown to like him a lot. "Your speech was beautiful, Oscar. I just about cried."

He wraps his arms around me, lifting me off the ground with a laugh. "Thank you for proof-reading it, KT. Couldn't have done it without you."

I smile at him, raising my arms to fix his cap. "Of course you couldn't have. You're just lucky I pulled out of the running for Valedictorian."

He hugs me again. "Thank you, honestly. I'll see you this Fall, Harvard better be ready for us!"

"As if I'm not going to force you to hang out with me this summer. But for now, goodbye, Oscar. I'll see you soon." He waves me off as I search through the crowd to find Damon and Jack not too far from me.

Is it weird that I'm nervous?

I ignore the feeling and run and jump on Damon's back. "We did it, brother!" I grab his cap in my hands as he starts running around between people shouting at the top of his lungs that school's out forever.