32: "Better Without You."

Relief. Weightlessness. Freedom.

Relief because I can finally give myself to Jack fully without fear of letting him down.

Weightlessness because I'm finally unburdened by events in my past that have come to shape my future.

Freedom because I am finally able to move on and do what I choose without loitering doubts.

Being able to just sit in my living room with a cup of coffee, admiring the skyline and having a sense of actual happiness is foreign to me. But I'll be damned if it's not welcome.

After an extended morning with Jack, I convinced him to go home and actually have some alone time before we get sick of each other. Leaving me relishing in the peace and quiet.

Obviously being alone with nobody here, means I'm alone with my thoughts. For once though, it's not that bad.

Until I hear the doorbell, disturbing my peacefulness. Thinking it's probably Roxy and or Scarlett, I answer it.

But it's not Scarlett and Roxy. It's not them coming to see me because we haven't seen each other in a few days.

It's someone quite the opposite. Someone I had hoped to not see again. Ever.

"Hi, KT."

"Joe," I breathe out.

I can't make sense of my emotions. They're scrambled and fast and jumbled. I'm fucking terrified.

He tries to take a step forward but I recoil and take two back.

"Can I come in?"

My eyes snap to his with a look of pure disgust. "Take one more step and you're trespassing and I'll call the cops."

He laughs. He fucking laughs. "You don't mean that."

"Fucking try me," I spit.

He looks me up and down, a small smile playing at his lips. "You look good, KT. I've missed you."

"What are you doing, Joe?" My hand hasn't left my door, meaning I am free to shut it in his face at any given time.

"I came here to talk to you."

I furrow my brows. Is he serious? He flew all the way across the country to talk? I don't buy it. "Goodbye."

I slam the door but he blocks it with his foot, causing me to roll my eyes. "Get the fuck off my property."

"Come on, KT. I came all the way from LA to be here, let me in."

I keep the door exactly where it is. "I don't owe you anything." He pushes the door and I stumble backwards, giving him the opening he needs to step into my apartment. "Get out. Get out right now."

"Calm down, KT." He walks towards me again, I step back from him again. But I've hit a wall, how cliché.

"Fuck off. Get out of my apartment now, Joe. I'm not being funny."

He shakes his head with a smile. "You're not going to do anything though, KT. Let's just have a conversation."

I push up against the wall more, if that's possible. "We have nothing to talk about."

He comes closer still saying, "You're wrong."

I feel my breathing grow short and erratic, my head getting dizzy. "Get away from me." My speech is disjunct like I can't catch my breath. My mouth is dry and I feel my body starting to shake.

What is happening to me?!

"KT, are you okay?" Joe asks, placing his hands on my arms.

That's when I fucking lose it.