28: "I Want You."

I never used to go on dates. I haven't properly been on a date since when I first started going out with Joe. He stopped taking me on dates after a while, and Jack and I just tend to hang out rather than have anything formal.

It's quite weird actually. I don't think anyone will ever know what you're really supposed to wear on a date and now is no exception.

Naturally, my nerves have been all over the place and Jack showing up looking like the greek god he is doesn't exactly help my case. Although, his hand wrapped around mine is somewhat comforting as we walk into a diner.

"Juliet, you are allowed to enjoy yourself," Jack says in my ear.

I sigh and look him in the eyes once we're sat in a booth. "Shut up, Jack." I roll my eyes at him. "Anyway, I like this place, how'd you find it?"

"You know, just... found it somehow." He shifts awkwardly in his seat, refusing to make eye contact with me until after we've ordered.

"You're hiding something, why?" I ask him rather innocently.

He leans back in his seat and lets out a long breath. "I don't know, we just don't talk about these things."

"What things?"

Jack's response is delayed as we receive our milkshakes during my question. "Past relationships. We don't talk out them, it's just not something we've ever done."

"No, we-" But I stop myself, reflecting on practically all our past conversations. "Oh. I guess we haven't. Well," I start, leaning towards Jack and resting my forearms on the table. "No time like the present."

He looks nervous, not reassured by the smile on my face it seems. "Okay then, but you asked so I'm just going to give it to you straight. Freshman year, nothing much happened until... until you got a boyfriend." He sighs massively. "I liked you and you got a boyfriend."

I blush to myself, playing with the (metal) straw in my drink. Even though I know that Jack liked me back then, I never get tired of hearing the bitterness in his voice when he talks about the boyfriend I had at the time.

"I got fed up of waiting for you to be available and... kept myself occupied. I found out that every girl is a sucker for diners. So I came here, played 'You Got It' by Roy Orbison on the jukebox and that was enough for them."

I almost spit out my milkshake. "Then why did you bring me here, Jack? I am not a conquest," I say sternly.

Suddenly his eyes bolt open. "God, of course not, Kat! Never. I just wanted to give myself some happy memories here. It's a good place and I don't want to only associate it with fucking girls whose names I can't remember."

That somewhat calms me down, but he hasn't fully redeemed himself yet. "Anyway, then you came back and the rest is history." Jack grins happily. "Your turn, Juliet."

I cough awkwardly and set my milkshake down on the table. "I liked you as a freshman, which you know. I got tired of waiting for you to make a move." I stare at him pointedly, forcing him to drop his smirk. "So I went out with someone who did, Sam. Then we broke up which was whatever. Then I had a few fucks and flings and whatnot before moving to California. Had a few fucks then went out with Joe who was... whatever. Then I came back here and the rest is history," I mimic with mocking evident in my voice.

"How did your relationships end?" Jack asks.

"Well, Sam ghosted me after taking my virginity on my sixteenth birthday. Then I left Joe before I came here."

"Sam has always been a dick. Why did you dump Joe?"

"Because I was coming to New York, long distance never works," I breeze past the real reason with ease. Jack, however, stiffens at my words.