17: "Kinky."

"I've got the perfect punishment!" The principal announces, sick of fighting with us. "Since you two detest being around each other so much, I think that the perfect punishment would be for you two to hold hands for the entirety of today." Jesse and I scoff simultaneously.

"Principal, there's no way we're doing that," Jesse responds.

"Yeah, there's no way you can even make sure we do it. It's not going to happen," I reason.

"Oh, I know that it's going to happen and I have the perfect way of making sure it does."

"Come on, James. What are you going to do? Staple our clothes together?" I laugh off.

He grins maliciously and I can tell he's going to say something sadistic.

"No, that's ridiculous. I'm going to handcuff you together."

"Kinky," I muse.

"Please-" Jesse begs.

"On top of that," he cuts us off again. "You shall not be allowed to attend the Christmas ball."

"Come on, James! You can't!" I protest.

"Principal Johnson, please don't," Jesse pleads.

So basics, the Christmas ball is this ball that happens just before Christmas break. Obviously. It's the equivalent of a Winter Formal but our school wanted to be unique and edgy, so there we go.

But the big fuss is that the theme this year is so good. It's called 'The Bleak Midwinter' - this means I can wear dark colours to the Christmas ball and it's the most controversial theme Manhattan High has ever seen and everyone is so hyped it's unreal.

And it's in less than a month so no one can wait. I already have my dress!

"If you two really want to go then you will hold hands and act like you two can at least stand each other for the rest of the day. KT you are excused from your lessons and will attend all of his in order to keep this up. Effective immediately."

"You're kidding, right? Is this just because I'm a girl and a man's education is more important than mine?" He can't expect me to not go to some of my AP classes just for some shitty punishment.

"No, it's because you're a better student and can afford to miss a day of school. Jesse, on the other hand, can not. And you will do as I say without complaint or you will not be allowed to attend the Christmas ball. And do I really have to repeat myself? Effective immediately," He growls.

I look at Jesse worriedly and he mirrors my expression. He then takes my hand in his and we both look angrily at the principal who handcuffs us eagerly.

"Lovely, you're now dismissed."

"Suck a fucking bag of dicks," I mutter under my breath so that Mr Johnson can't hear. But clearly, Jesse heard it as he lets out a hearty laugh. I look at him sternly. "Problem?"

"No," he scoffs. "But there is something you should know."

"I'm listening." What's he done now?

"Well, after the food fight yesterday I overheard some random people talking about us," Jesse begins.

"Go on." What the fuck is this?

"They were saying that there has been a divide between us," Jesse says with disbelief in his tone. "They said, and I quote, 'The populars are falling apart - we can strike now and end up running the school.'"

Shut the front door.

"What the fuck?" I stop walking and just stand there putting my free hand to my forehead.